Crusader Cup Fuel

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just recieved my crusader cup and cooking unit in the post, nice bit of kit.

What is the best, e.g cheapest and easiest to find fuel?? Any tips for their usage, I have made a metal handle so that it can be hung over the fire billy can stytle for open fire brewing.

Cheers lads,

Buckley

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
You can use the green heat (fire snot!), hexy blocks, or do what my mate does, he just fills the round fuel bit with meths, and lights it !!

If you gonna use fire snot, you WILL get crud left in the bottom. The simple way to clean this is to put a little water in the round bit, soak the crud, then throw away the jelly bit :)

HTH

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Green heat gel isn't that good as cooking fuel. It will only warm through water and you'll be lucky to get a boil. It is good for starting fires though.

I've used meths as well. Not a bad option. Hexy is probably the best for the crusader.

Pablo

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Pablo said:
Green heat gel isn't that good as cooking fuel. It will only warm through water and you'll be lucky to get a boil. It is good for starting fires though.

I've used meths as well. Not a bad option. Hexy is probably the best for the crusader.

Pablo

I've got rolling boils with just greenheat, you can always throw in a few small twigs to increase heat if ya want :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
At the scottish meet I used 70% alcohol hand disinfecting gel all weekend in the burner of my crusader and it worked fine.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Cheers lads,

I want to use it for the moot on saturday, and I won't be able to get hold of any green heat or hexi by saturday So I guess it will have to be meths, will this cover the cup in soot, and effect the taste of my brew?

I made on of these turbo tealights of outdooridiots.com but it took almost an hour to boil. I then behaved in typical muppet fashion and then went on to try a firelighter cube, it boiled quickly, but the whole thing was covered in carbon, which then got transferred to my hands, then on to the settee and then on to all the white goods in the kitchen, lol! Missus was not amused!

I'll order some hexi cubes and green heat for it in the future.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Buckley8219 said:
Cheers lads,

I want to use it for the moot on saturday, and I won't be able to get hold of any green heat or hexi by saturday So I guess it will have to be meths, will this cover the cup in soot, and effect the taste of my brew?

I'll order some hexi cubes and green heat for it in the future.

Adding 5-10% water to the meths is suposed to help with the sooting, must admit I dont bother, though I do add a couple of grains of table salt, seems to make the flames slightly more visible.

I also sometimes use Sterno chaffing gel ( mainly as I got given a batch free ) which seems to be about equivalent to Green Heat but you can get it very cheaply here http://www.nisbets.co.uk/products/AdvancedSearch.asp?keyword=sterno

Have fun.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
IMO Dommyracer mentions a very interesting point here ...

What's the crusader cooking unit designed for?
Soldiers, giving them an easy method to prepare rations / brew (?)

Do you really need a (rolling) boil?
No, IMO you don't. Dried rations can be made ready for consuming by adding hot water, it doesn't necessarily have to boil - though that's (the boiling) a rough indication for you to know the temperature is high enough

Wouldn't hot water be sufficient? Now, I'm not talking poluted water, but already available and purified (by a waterpurifier) water from, say a canteen.
Therefor firesnot :D can do the job, as long as the water you use is clean / treated (and it brings the temp. of the water high enough to have a good hot meal / brew).

It's all a matter of perspective ... and of course I can be wrong here because as a dutchie I don't know anything about brewing a cup of tea ... :27: ;)

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Got really disillusioned with the whole crusader thing and gave mine away, didn’t think it was worth trying to trade.

Meths was the only fuel that I found worked, heating/boiling time for anything else was to long. Also found that this was an add on to the kit that I would normally carry so just another burden.

Have reverted to small gas stove and billy, but prefer small open fire.

Each to his own, Pothunter.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Yes,

I've got a coleman f1 peak stove, which is great. But I wanted a crusader set just to to make a slowish brew in the morning when the fire is out, and I don't want to bugger about prepping and pumping up my stove, I haven't managed a rolling boil with it yet, but it still hot enough for a good cuppa.

I figured I could pack up, wash etc then have a nice cuppa to see me off before I went off on my walk.

I really like the cups think they are great, especially for soups/beans etc

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
If you've got a fire then the metal mug works well if you use three tent pegs to sit it on. In fact if I'm making a fire just for a cuppa then I'll build the fire round the tent pegs.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Buckley8219,
I'll probably have a tub or two of the Sterno gel at the moot, I aim to arrive late lunchtime saturday, so make yourself known and you can have one to try out.

ATB

Ogri the trog

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Cheers mate :You_Rock_ ,

i'll be there from about 10am if all goes to plan. Just got hold of some meths and it worked a treat, got a rolling boil in about 7mins.

Seee you at the moot!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE