Crusader cooking system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
I have just bought a Crusader cooking system and so far I'm impressed, stores altogether in a pack with the water cannister in side and cooking on green gel seems OK too.
Must say that it takes about 6 Minutes to boil water on such a small packet of gel, will be trying a meths burner in it soon.
D

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
I was lucky enough to be given one of these for Christmas. I've had it out a couple of times since then and cannot recommend highly enough - superb! BCB missed a trick here and should have listened to feedback about the plastic "lid" jobby, ditched it and made these. It's a US firm "Heavy Cover" that makes them, and Mr Mears sells them through his site...
getimg.cfm

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I love the Crusader system and have used it exclusively all through 2011. And that included long expeds in Tanzania and Venezuela as well as weeks/months on end outside in the UK when working. It's the best system I've found for me in years of buying and testing different methods. The only upgrade I've done is to get a alu lid off a member here. I like it better than the commercially available one as it is slimmer and easily stored in a pack.

P1000408.jpg

P1000498.jpg

It fits alot tighter than it appears in the perspective of this pic.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like the Crusader as well :) Like you are thinking - I made a RedBull meths burner to use with it and it is great. :)
Like JD I use an ally lid - but I made mine myself :)

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
I was lucky enough to be given one of these for Christmas. I've had it out a couple of times since then and cannot recommend highly enough - superb! BCB missed a trick here and should have listened to feedback about the plastic "lid" jobby, ditched it and made these. It's a US firm "Heavy Cover" that makes them, and Mr Mears sells them through his site...
getimg.cfm

Like that lid!!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Emma got me the patches. The etching on my kit Stu Mitchell did for me at the Sheffield Assay Office. They already had the details for the etching on my knife bolsters, so I can get it put on pretty much anything now.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
I like your crusader pouch, what is the symbol all about? and how did you get it put on the lid and cup as it looks great with a bit of personal touch.

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
Crusader in black pouch
P1010830-1.jpg

Opened pouch with a little storage pocket for my fire lighter and cotton wool soaked in Vaseline
P1010832.jpg

The crusader with cup on drinking bottle and metal mug and cooker at botttom (dont know why they have a plastic cup, but will properly be replacing it with another cooker and metal cup
P1010834.jpg
P1010833.jpg

Cup with lid, again this will be replaced with the metal one later
P1010835.jpg

I like the small metal hanger for when you put the mug on an open fire
P1010836.jpg

Last edited:
@ Bumpy don't suppose you have a link to that lid mate.

I have the complete Crusader Cooking unit

I modded mine to take a bail arm from a coat hanger, honestly I prefer the Hexistove with the mug attachment
I have the BCB Lid and it's OK, I agree with comments here they should have listened to feed back, the whole it too big and defeats the purpose of the lid.
it jams on when in use, and It has a high chance of melting if used in an open fire.

This new lid looks like it solves all those problems.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I like your crusader pouch, what is the symbol all about? and how did you get it put on the lid and cup as it looks great with a bit of personal touch.

I'm a herpetologist. Viperidae is my speciality and the British Adder is my favourite viper. I've had the adder/Britain avatar for years, so it's become a personal image for me. Trunks, a member on here recently revamped and updated it so it could go on a knife bolster... Full thread here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61041&highlight=heirloom+knife

DSC00109.jpg

@ Bumpy don't suppose you have a link to that lid mate.

Here you go...

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/872-Heavy-Cover-Nato-Crusader-Cup-Boil-Cover/

Last edited:

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Try and hunt down the old '85 pattern mug. It its Teflon coated aluminum and designed to replace the plastic top mug not the crusader bottom one giving you 2 metal mugs. It comes with a removable plastic lip so it can go on a fire and you can drink straight from it with a fresh brew. Not seen them in a while though-last time was in the survival shop near Penrith.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have one of the '85 mugs I use it as a spare in my car kit as I usually have a passenger. It's a heavy beast, I've had it since the early '90's and it's served me well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE