Crumpets or muffins?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Nooo only butter on crumpets surely?

I believe you to be wrong here, sorry Red.

I can buy gluten free muffins, but I can make gluten free crumpets :D

Crumpets are for cream and jam :) muffins are for butter and marmite :D

M

That is disgraceful.

Nooooooooooooooooooo, the other way about, surely

That's more like it.

That's scones! And you cannot get proper cream North of Barnstaple.

Quite correct, I have some coming from my local dairy, it's the only time of year that I will eat desserts or cream.

My sentiments exactly Mary!

Unfortunately both of you are oh' so wrong.

Crumpets every time. With butter and jam or golden syrup.

Nope.

Crumpets, butter, marmite = happy

That's getting closer, if you add a good strong cheddar that is then blow torched till bubbling with slight areas of caramelisation. It adds a whole new aspect to crumpets and cheese and marmite go very well together.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Buttermilk or sour milk is traditionally used up by making pancakes with it, here.
Helps them rise :)......

We have pancake recipes with sweet milk (regular whole fat white milk) and recipes with buttermilk. The buttermilk recipes have to be adjusted to get the same rise; baking soda is added to counteract the acidity (in addition to the baking powder already in the recipes for sweet milk)

Typical Pancake Recipe:

Ingredients:
-1.5 cups all purpose flour
-3.5 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 tablespoon white sugar
-1.25 cups milk (regular milk)
-1 egg
-3 tablespoons melted butter

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

Typical Buttermilk Pancake Recipe:

Ingredients:
-3 cups all-purpose flour
-3 tablespoons white sugar
-3 teaspoons baking powder
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-3 cups buttermilk
-1/2 cup milk
-3 eggs
-1/3 cup butter, melted

Directions:
1.In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, milk, eggs and melted butter. Keep the two mixtures separate until you are ready to cook.
2.Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. You can flick water across the surface and if it beads up and sizzles, it's ready!
3.Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or fork to blend. Stir until it's just blended together. Do not over stir! Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/2 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

So y'all don't do sourdough pancakes then?

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Only if we're in the notion to keep a starter bowlful going for a couple of weeks. Other wise it's not worth the bother in this day and age of good raising agents for quick bake things like pancakes.

Milk, sour milk or buttermilk, just adjust the recipe as required; it's not rocket science, it's just pancakes :D

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Only if we're in the notion to keep a starter bowlful going for a couple of weeks. Other wise it's not worth the bother in this day and age of good raising agents for quick bake things like pancakes.....

Yeah but the difference in the taste is the point. That is definitely worth the bother. And I've had some starters I kept for years.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I may have to test Leon's cheese on crumpets. My buddy just brought me a two pound waxed truckle of proper cheddar (which is only found in Somerset). There are some advantages to his son being based at Yeovilton :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I may have to test Leon's cheese on crumpets. My buddy just brought me a two pound waxed truckle of proper cheddar (which is only found in Somerset). There are some advantages to his son being based at Yeovilton :)

Now you're making me hungry. I gotta go get a late breakfast for lunch soon!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
SM2K, You must eat a lot of pancakes :)
They're just something I make in a hurry when someone's in the notion or I have unexpected visitors, or sometimes for an event of one kind of another where there's a tea.

We might make a lunch of crepes, but not of pancakes. They're a tasty bite, or a pudding, not a meal, and there's no butter or oil added to the batter in the recipes….just flour, raising agent, milk, salt, sugar and eggs.

Isn't there an astonishing range of baked goods available ?

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
SM2K, You must eat a lot of pancakes :)
They're just something I make in a hurry when someone's in the notion or I have unexpected visitors, or sometimes for an event of one kind of another where there's a tea.

We might make a lunch of crepes, but not of pancakes. They're a tasty bite, or a pudding, not a meal.......

Well, they (pancakes) aren't a meal either if served alone. The full meal menu is: pancakes, bacon (or better still, sausage; preferably a good smoked sausage) and possibly eggs; along with coffee and a cold drink such as milk or juice (apple or orange)

A good pancake or waffle breakfast is something I try to do at least once a week. In fact this thread inspired me to take Barbara out for a late pancake breakfast this morning. She had hers with blueberry syrup and I had mine with honey. It's also a common supper served on Fat Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday there) and for various fund raisers throughout the year.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must say that some good cheese (a cheddar with some bite to it or a nice blue veined monster) on (Scottish) oatcakes with a glass of whisky or a nice chewy port would fill me with joy. (Marmite/veggiemite are evil, hence why they were banned in Denmark, sensible folks the Danes.)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have oatcakes, rich mature Scottish cheddar and homemade apple spread (just apples, no sugar) and a mug of tea in front of me right now :D

Merry Christmas :D……though the marmite is a necessity of life :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE