Crumpets or muffins?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
A muffin sandwiched between two crumpets, all coated in butter and jam and topped with cream and ice cream with a chocolate flake. For a special treat cover with batter and deep fry, serve with maple syrup.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A muffin sandwiched between two crumpets, all coated in butter and jam and topped with cream and ice cream with a chocolate flake. For a special treat cover with batter and deep fry, serve with maple syrup.

Aaah the Scottish solution :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never, ever, in a thousand years should that be described as Scottish.
How can anyone eat that? You'd make yourself sick, surely ? :yuck:

M

Last time I was in Inverness I saw a deep fried Donner kebab pizza with a deep fried Mars bar to follow.

The case for the prosecution rests:)

That sounds beyond gross; I honestly have no idea how anyone can eat that.
I can't eat a whole Mars bar anyway, but even so, that's a horrendous waste of a dinner.

M

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Australian sister in law called my pancakes 'pikelets' :confused:

My English cousin called my pancakes 'dropped scones' :confused:........my infant son went looking for the dustpan and brush :rolleyes:

M

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Don't be daft lad. The holes are for filling.

Yes, filling with butter! Seriously the butter has to be spread on so thick it fills the holes. You know muffins are too bready for my liking. If I wanted that I'd eat a good bread roll or bun. I like crumpets, toasted until very crispy on the outside but soft and warm inside. Laden all.dripping with butter. Eaten hot too.
Muffins are more something to eat with eggs IMHO. However to add another product to this option, can I suggest potato cakes? They're nice toasted with fried eggs on top. Very runny egg yolks with the potato cakes toasted until crispy skin but still soft in the middle. Careful, they can retain heat for a bit longer than crumpets and muffins.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oooh good shout on the potato cake. There are of course scotch pancakes. Different to proper pancakes, but good.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Pikelets aren't common in.supermarkets these days. They're like flatter crumpets I think. Good for fried eggs but not to my taste. Pancakes are so varied in their recipes and form. They're everything from sweet to savoury too. Most countries have their versions and ways of eating them too.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If I get crumpets I always have to get more butter. Seriously I can get through a cake of butter in a few days if I have crumpets in. That's me on my own. Add in the rest of the family and we're crumpet fans.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive been going a bit mad with the soreen malt loaf for the last few weeks, with just a straight salted slab of cold butter on top, and a banana for brekky.
Im sure its summat to do with the prespriction drugs they've got me on, its changed my appetite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE