Crumpets or muffins?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Are the various English shires oatcakes all the same really ?....can I just call them English Oatcakes as opposed to the Scottish Oatcakes ?

The lady who taught me how to make the Derbyshire ones lived in Buxton. I still think they're more like an oaty nan bread than an 'oatcake', but then ours are crispy toasted oats kind of things rather than dough based.

M

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Are the various English shires oatcakes all the same really ?....can I just call them English Oatcakes as opposed to the Scottish Oatcakes ?

The lady who taught me how to make the Derbyshire ones lived in Buxton. I still think they're more like an oaty nan bread than an 'oatcake', but then ours are crispy toasted oats kind of things rather than dough based.

M
The oatcakes my mum (from Derbyshire) gets are more like thick galettes, thick pancakes but with more fibre.

Dunno owt else

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
piklets are junior pancakes. They grow up when they get doped up with 20% buckwheat flour.

The UK crumpets that we buy here are baked/pan fried smooth on one face only.
The other face is pock-marked with all sorts of useful little holes so that the honey doesn't
run all over the plate.

Muffins are how we describe an individuals expanding girth above and spilling over their belt.

What you need are waffles = I'll mix a double batch of batter, laced with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Then 3 x 2-place waffle irons running side by side and I commence to getting the job done.
Freeze beautifully. Chocolate dessert waffles are a treat with powdered sugar.
In the meantime, some waffles must be tested for quality control with sour cream and drowning in sryup
made from my grape crop.
Amen.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a cast iron aluminium one that has moulded into the bottom "Made in England, Superior Girdle", and it's at least seventy years old now, and it still makes good pancakes. I have two cast iron ones that are over a hundred years old, and they are superb :D and a very new cast iron one that fits my very modern cooker and is finally broken in and baking beautifully.

Griddles have those wee ridgey things to make pretty patterns when searing meat.

http://www.procook.co.uk/product/pr...MerchantFeed&gclid=CLzr-bay3cICFfMZtAodclQAkw

M

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Crumpets need to be loaded with butter and drizzled with honey. :D

Tried making them once but were bit thin, and holes weren't uniform for some reason.

Another favourite combination is cinnamon & raisin bagels toasted, buttered and drowned in maple syrup.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire

M

Yeah english oatcakes are pretty well all the same as far as i'v ever seen...the scottish one being more of a biscuit, is that right?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In North America, a "girdle" is a ladies' foundation under garment, meant to pack 150lbs of potatoes into a 100lb sack.
It rarely works well enough to prevent the poor lass from believing that she is attempting to breathe fresh air
at 40,000 feet.
I'm pleased to report that we cook on griddles, instead.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Buttermilk or sour milk is traditionally used up by making pancakes with it, here.
Helps them rise :)

Not fond of fruits like blueberries 'in' the pancakes. Our native blaeberries are smaller and sweeter than the commercially grown blueberries (that all seem to be imported, though I believe there's a company in Dorset who grow them) and are too nice to waste by cooking them in pancakes. Just munch them as you find them :D

Waffles are a footer, and they're just a pancake batter anyway.....if you get them right then crumpets have enough holes to hang onto any syrup or jellies (that's jelly jam I mean; jam with no fruit bits in it, not table jelly) or butter just fine.
I like fresh crumpets rolled up like tossed pancakes (crépes).

cheers,
M
Potato scones, and cheese scones

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Our local Farm Shop makes Pork and Apple burgers so with fried eggs and a muffin you have a fantastic home made egg mcmuffin.
But crumpets hot in a stack with the butter and syrup dripping through to the bottom one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE