Cross bladed axe?.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks like an excellent finger pruner.:rolleyes: I think it hasn't become popular as it seems an awful idea personally.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'd like to give it a try, i split quite a lot of wood and I can see this saving time on some of it, I'd not want it as my only splitting maul but to be able to use it for the rounds that it works on might save lots of time and back ache, it's 1 strike as opposed to 3.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'd like to give it a try, i split quite a lot of wood and I can see this saving time on some of it, I'd not want it as my only splitting maul but to be able to use it for the rounds that it works on might save lots of time and back ache, it's 1 strike as opposed to 3.

Cant see you saving much energy after putting in the extra effort of lifting and then swinging the thing

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i saw one of those on a facebook axe group last year sometime. I think the guy who made it was a bored welder at work and did it for a giggle.

The cross blades are used on firewood processors that use hyrdaulics to push the blade through a log, so the theory is sound enough. The trouble is that a felling axe doesn't have much weight to it so you would have to swing very hard to make it go through a log of any substance

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

I see what you're saying that it is less chops but it would take more effort to get it through on that first hit.

I've used steel wedges set up that way, and as Dave pointed out it's common to see them in hydraulic splitters. I simply can't see it working well on an axe unless only one type and size of (easily split) wood was processed. With such a setup, the amount of force required changes dramatically with even small changes in the wood.
To save work in splitting you refine the wedge or axe to get maximum wedge surface contact with the wood and uniform slope, and use a tire bolted or screwed to the block so that wood inside it stays upright while you walk around splitting from different angles. Those methods work well, and save lots of effort.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
i saw one of those on a facebook axe group last year sometime. I think the guy who made it was a bored welder at work and did it for a giggle.

The cross blades are used on firewood processors that use hyrdaulics to push the blade through a log, so the theory is sound enough. The trouble is that a felling axe doesn't have much weight to it so you would have to swing very hard to make it go through a log of any substance

If that blokes a welder he needs to be told "You're sacked. Bye, don't let the door hit you on the backside on your way out.
FGVK0LBI7VQOBVI.MEDIUM.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE