creepy noises in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i spent last night on my own in the woods. i was feeling quite content and thinking apart from a couple of deer earlier it was very quiet. then...

[size=+3]CAAAAWWWWLLL! CAAAAWWWWLLL! CAAAAAAWWWWLLL!!![/size] over and over again

i leapt out of my skin, being in the middle of a fairly large forest with no fire or knife, just a bivi bag to hide in :eek:

it sounded like it was moving around and must have kept on going for nearly 20 minutes by which time i'd calmed down and it went away.

any ideas what it could have been? i talked to my mate and he reckoned it was a fox? sounded mike a monster sized bird to me:D lol

pete

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Barn owls can be pretty shocking, especially just at the nodding off point whilst sat in the tree above you :rolleyes:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
i spent last night on my own in the woods... it was very quiet. then...[size=+1]CAAAAWWWWLLL! CAAAAWWWWLLL! CAAAAAAWWWWLLL!!![/size] i talked to my mate and he reckoned it was a fox?

You were probably in the fox's territory. :)

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/fox_territory_call.mp3

There's also the mating call but I think it's a little too late for that (they're bringing up the new kits now)

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/fox_mating_call.mp3

There are .wav files on there as well if you can't play mp3s

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
cheers ged, it sounded a little more sinister last night though:D
so if i was in the fox's territory was it making those noises at me?

pete

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...it sounded a little more sinister last night though:D

It sounds more sinister when you don't know what it is. It's bad enough when you do. :)

so if i was in the fox's territory was it making those noises at me?

No, the fox wasn't making a noise at you, just letting all the other foxes know what's what. They might look cute but they're little sods, the dominant ones will give the underlings a pretty hard time.

If the fox had seen you he would have scarpered. In our woods, the thing that's feared most is man.

Juraj

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2010
EU
Slightly off topic, sorry, but could you please tell me where in East Sussex you found 'fairly large forest'?

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
it does sound like a fox to me

though it could of been my gf over the weekend we went out and she rather guzzled to much cidar and got a bit loud

i think there should be tranquilizer guns available when in the woods with people drinking

lol

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
well i dont know for sure tbh just sounds most likely

its gona be one of three if i was in my bivi and i hear that shrill i pick one turn over and go back to sleep

:lmao:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, if it `was` Ashdown forest....

Well, it could be anything.

100 Aker Wood is full of homosexualy frustrated soft toys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE