Craft project ideas

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I'm taking a break from carving utensils before I go on to bigger projects such as kuskas, bowls and dishes. I planned to make about four small, miscellaneous projects. I've already made one of them, a crook knife case/holder. I had in mind to make a birch bark tray, but I've had no luck finding recently fallen logs that yield great sheets to harvest for the purpose of making a simple but practical tray. I then had the idea of making a comb, but maybe wood isn't the best bet and it's hard to find the right log to split as the grain needs to be perfectly straight. To be perfectly honest, I'm not a fan of stagnation and I'd very much just like to get into another project.

Can anyone give me a link to a list of several small projects to undertake? Just a few projects that are aimed at the beginner and have some practical function. I don't mean something like learning how to make a pot hanger or a try stick, rather something that is more a kin to a genuine tool like, for example, the crook knife case.

Thanks.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Edc first aid in an altoids tin. Or matches.
Uhm... Hobo fishing kit? Just have some fun that's the most important.:)

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
have you thought about flint knapping ?

making a knife or arrow head with flint looks good and loads of youtube vids to show how to do it.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I think you should carve more utensils, carving is a tricky business and the more experience the better, it'll never hurt to practice. Netting needles are great fun, maybe try a comb with what you're got as well as a birch bark tray , and if it doesn't work it's practice and when you do come to make some more you'll be better and more experienced :).

Hope this helps :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE