Covid 2nd jab

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Some of the reactions folk are describing for the second AZ are quite concerning. I had thought that unpleasant reactions with the AstraZenica tended to be on the first jab.

My second is scheduled for two days before the Moot starts. :(

I didn't get anything much noticeable in the way of flu symptoms from the first jab, which was 6th May. Got some aches in my calf, but I have some tight tendons and can get aches anyway. Also got a rash on my back and around my neck, which I have had before around the neck, but less irritating and of shorter duration. Could have been that I didn't rinse all the soap out of a shirt, but seems an odd coincidence it hit a couple days after the jab.

Most people I know have had flu like symptoms for 24 hours, starting about 10 hours after the first jab, either that, or nothing. One older friend though says he was delirious after the first jab, but had no effect after the second.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Quite a lot of people have had problems with their legs, so it's worth being aware of the symptoms and contacting a Doctor if it gets worse, hopefully it wont, my daughter as I have said, had it really bad, she had a blood test which was ok, a 24hr ECG, and beta-blockers ,but don't try and bluff it out if it gets worse.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
A lot of people, especially the nervous types (of which I am one) get worked up over the various reports, but what I suffered from the first jab seems fairly routine and trivial, and the second jab went by without noticing anything.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
We have recurring worries here about tha AZ jab and its use has been suspended a couple of times. But I heard yesterday I will be able to book my second jab as of Tuesday.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I was very nervous about getting the jab, but I knew the alternative would probably be fatal for me anyway.
Luckily I had the Pfizer offering which seems to have less side effects.
First jab was a sore arm for two days, and a slight headache.
Second was just the sore arm, no worse than a normal flu jab.
I am very glad to have been vaccinated, and very thankful to all those who worked to get it out to us all so quickly and efficiently. Well done those people whoever you are, from the scientists to the volunteers who made it possible to get to the vaccination centre, kept me sane, and all those in between.
Thank you one and all.

Reactions: Dougster

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You’d have to ask them I guess
That was back in February, nearly 3 months ago. The efficacy of the vaccine is far better recognised now, I’m not sure in this fast moving and increasingly political situation we can trust that the figures in one Telegraph story are valid today. Or even were in the first place.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
200’000 PLUS NHS staff have declined the jab.

Its a headline from 28th of February. With the rate things change, probably no longer a valid number two and a half months later.

Appears vaccine take up in the NHS was lowest in London. Across the country take up has been low in ethnic minority communities. I am sure I have seen something to the effect that a relatively high percentage of NHS staff, especially in London, come from ethnic minorities.

The Telegraph had an article. One line says:
"In total, more than 41,000 front line healthcare workers in the capital, including medics, hospital porters, cleaners and laboratory staff, have not had the jab."

So important not to read "200,000 NHS staff" as "200,000 expert medical professionals".

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Some of the reactions folk are describing for the second AZ are quite concerning.

I didn't get anything much noticeable in the way of flu symptoms from the first jab, which was 6th May. Got some aches in my calf, but I have some tight tendons and can get aches anyway. Also got a rash on my back and around my neck, which I have had before around the neck, but less irritating and of shorter duration. Could have been that I didn't rinse all the soap out of a shirt.
Personally I’m just comparing notes, and as a control group we’re tiny (and I expect unreliable), so I’d take it with a pinch of salt. Just because Fadcodes daughter and I have had similar hard pulse and achy legs doesn‘t mean anything.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
This is a problem with people not checking facts properly. So this is well out of date information which has been offered here as, "up to date info."
There is enough misinformation about without this sort of thing. It causes worry and mistrust. Not good. Please check your facts if you are going to post that sort of thing.
I queried it because I know many NHS and other health professionals and they were the keenest of all to get vaccinated.
I've spent a fair time in and out of hospital this last few months, and all staff were vaccinated that I dealt with even before me, as a vunerable person. As much for the patients safety as their own.
I doubted that was correct , that was why I asked why. It didn't make sense.

• Haha
Reactions: CLEM

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
This is a problem with people not checking facts properly. So this is well out of date information which has been offered here as, "up to date info."
There is enough misinformation about without this sort of thing. It causes worry and mistrust. Not good. Please check your facts if you are going to post that sort of thing.
I queried it because I know many NHS and other health professionals and they were the keenest of all to get vaccinated.
I've spent a fair time in and out of hospital this last few months, and all staff were vaccinated that I dealt with even before me, as a vunerable person. As much for the patients safety as their own.
I doubted that was correct , that was why I asked why. It didn't make sense.

For parity , I also know a few frontline staff and their consensus and feeling is one of quiet scepticism WHEN the Vaccination first came out due to the speed in which it was developed and released - what are their feelings now? I don't know , I just know at the time because most Vaccinations get tested for significantly longer than this that there was concern.

Like it or not , that was the opinion of some NHS professionals.
We are all entitled to an opinion I'd hope.

Reactions: Fadcode and CLEM

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am curious how many people would have needed to be vaccinated, as part of the normal evaluation process, for a statistically significant number of clot events to have been detected, and whether the normal process would have had that number of subjects. I am sure the answer to that question is out there, but I don't know what search would reveal it.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
In the NHS Trust I work for, as of earlier this week (we get weekly updates - it was daily during the worst of it), staff uptake of the vaccine was about eighty-something percent.
Refusal to accept the vaccine is highest among BAME staff and so there's been a drive to address that. That said, everyone I work with has had it and I'm not personally aware of anyone who hasn't.
This is purely anecdotal and the case solely for the Trust I work for in the south-east, so don't draw too many conclusions from that.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
It was a joke, a play on words, a deliberate mis-take on the "95%" wording. I do not really think I am 95% immortal. The day after my Jab I did not win the lottery..... am I to blame that on the vaccine. Chill people CHILL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE