Cous-Cous, I never see anyone eating it!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Went out for a bit of a bimble today and took one of Ainsley Harriott's Cous-Cous sachets with me along with a Pepperami, made the Cous-Cous chopped he pepperoni into it job done!, lightweight, quick to prepare, economical with water, tasty, filling, all good really, but I don't think Ive ever seen anyone mention Cous-Cous as an alternative to Pasta or Rice, I don't generally use ready meal type stuff, but plain Cous-Cous is easy to flavour up, certainly as easy as other dehydrated stuff……..

It will feature in my pack from now on…...

Paul

I often take it on overnight trips. I usually cook it with pine nuts and (dehydrated) chopped carrots and other veggies.

I am a lousy cook and who can mess up cous-cous? Answer: I can! I always add too much water for the altitude and end up with cous-cous soup. One of these days, I am going to get it right!

- Woodsorrel

bearbait

I also use cous-cous a lot, both at home and out. It's quick to cook, economical with water and seems to go with almost anything. I buy bags of the plain stuff and flavour as appropriate. It's a good alternative to bread or rice with curry, or chilli.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Used to use it a lot on longer trips. Very efficient on fuel as to cooking, small grain size means your not packing a lot of air so good volume to nutrition makes it an allround winner in my book. It's not just a savoury thing either. If I run out of oats cous-cous can be cooked in milk or is braw with honey, nuts, fruit or a spoon of jam as a hot or cold breakfast or pudding.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
It's definitely good stuff, also a fan of the slightly less space/calorie/fuel efficient Bulgar Wheat and Buckwheat as well. Buckwheat turns out a bit more porrige like but has the advantage of being Gluten free it that sort of thing concerns you, or in my case those around me :eek:

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
It's one of my favourites for a quick cook up...along with noodles. Great with bacon, chorizo, or whatever you can find. I always have a couple of packs of it in my daypack in case I get hungry or decide or hanging around a bit longer.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Bring water & lemon juice, half-and-half plus 1 tsp salt, just to the boil and add the cous-cous.
Off the heat, let stand to cool and fluff up with a fork.
Add 1/2C or more of fine dice red & green peppers, purple onion, radishes, canned kernel corn, pine nuts, fresh peas. .. . . .
Stir in 1 tbs good olive oil and refrigerate until served. Far better tomorrow.
Should keep several days, if it lasts that long.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE