Cous-Cous, I never see anyone eating it!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Been meaning to try the same recipe but sub quinoa for the pasta.
Cous-cous made, found the corn/radishes and G pepper. Buy the rest this afternoon.

Me: " Have some salad, Dad?"
Dad: " What the Hello is this?"
Me: "Cous-cous salad."
Dad: " What's that?
Me: " The world's shortest spaghetti."
He took more the second time. Canadian durum/semolina.

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Always reliable for me. Works well with things like lightly fried cubed chorizo, and the frying/heating through releases the oils in the chorizo.
Best thing about cous-cous, though, is that it can rehydrate in the bowl you'll eat it from, so you don't have to clean out your hot water pan or kettle.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Speak of the devil. Just back from a holiday in Tunisia and it was everywhere. Really nice and filling made with fish, beef etc...

Tonyuk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Great stuff, light and easy to pack, quick to cook and filling. I slice some chorizo into the water while I bring it to the boil and then chuck in the Ainsly Harriot stuff as they are pretty well flavoured already, makes it very tasty indeed and the chorizo adds a bit of protein and substance.

Cheers, Paul

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Fantastic for camping ,usually have one or two in the ruck ,I have been using it a lot at work for lunch ,I just make it on the spot and have with a tin of tuna or sardines ,cherry tomatoes ,peppers etc ,makes a nice change from sandwiches.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Durum wheat, incompletely milled, is called semolina = the main ingredient in pasta and, of course, cous-cous.
Per 100g, hard red spring wheat has 15.4g protein, durum is 13.68 and hard red winter wheat is 12.61.
Of the dozens of different proteins in wheats, the tolerance for glutenin = gluten is a subject of considerable interest these days.
Fortunately, I don't seem to be the least sensitive to gluten.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I like the idea of adding the pepperami

You wouldn't if you knew what went into it ;) Mostly lips and... err... the other end of the alimentary canal, with the occasional genitalia thrown in. All the bits they can't sell if it looks like it does when on the animal. The advert "It's a bit of an animal" is absolutely spot on, notice they don't tell you which bit.

Co-op do a chorizo for a couple of quid which, weight for weight alone, is better value.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
You wouldn't if you knew what went into it ;) Mostly lips and... err... the other end of the alimentary canal, with the occasional genitalia thrown in. All the bits they can't sell if it looks like it does when on the animal. The advert "It's a bit of an animal" is absolutely spot on, notice they don't tell you which bit.

Co-op do a chorizo for a couple of quid which, weight for weight alone, is better value.

Its MEAT....doesn't matter what kinda meat...lips n bits n danglies n teats its all edible......lol

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Eating every part of animals killed for food is both ethical and responsible.Minced meat and mechanically recovered meat is nothing to look down on, it should be encouraged and applauded, we are far too wasteful as a society.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Cous cous and brown rice are my carby staples, now that I boil up in my crusader cup it's the only use I get out of my billy can!

Chop up some peppers, shallots, garlic, fry them off, add a pint of veg stock, another minute simmering and turn it off, dump the couscous in - lovely!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
...we are far too wasteful as a society.

Not to mention that we need a sense of humour infusion, once in a while. I see the bypass was a success then Hugh ;)

I'd like to disagree regarding the mechanically recovered industrially processed only benefits the manufacturer food as much as I'd like to agree about the waste in society, particularly when it comes to sales and marketing. However this isn't the thread.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
We buy 1.5 kg canisters of Ainsley Harriots Cous Cous from (how would I know?) because my eldest daughter lives on the stuff.

I don't do rice and I've always been a bit reticent about Cous Cous. My daughter has tried converting me and I have somewhat given in. She adds Chorizo, peas and all sorts.

Cous Cous would make good trail food. I find it very filling but I also find it difficult to digest. I sits like a little block in my gut and outdoors that could prove to be an issue.

If you like it I found this: http://www.clearancexl.co.uk/epages.../es136752/Products/5050665016590&Locale=en_GB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE