Improvements I made to my Coleman F1 Lite Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Hi Folks,
I just thought I'd show you some of my cook kit and mention an 'extra' I bought and a small modification I made which have improved its use - for me anyway!
Where I go walking, I don't have permission to light a wood fire so I bring along the following kit for making some tea or coffee or making a meal. Sometimes this will be as simple as a tin of soup or can be something more elaborate.

The kit consists of a Coleman F1 Lite Stove with a Coleman Propane/butane canister, my stainless steel Tatonka Large cook kit (pot/pan/plate) and in the pot I have a small jar of oil for cooking, teabags, sachets of coffee/pepper/salt, packet of dehydrated soup etc. All of that, including the gas and the stove fits back inside the Tatonka stuffbag, just. Other food is carried separately.

Here's the kit:
Cook-Kit001_zps9e694441.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now, maybe it's just me, but I often find that when in use, especially if my pot is full, it can be a bit top heavy and wobbly, especially if the ground conditions aren't 'perfect'.
The other issue I had was that the pot supports of the Coleman F1 Lite Stove offer a small diameter of support, which adds to the feeling of instability (of the cooking arrangement, not the cook :) ).

Likewise, since the pot is quite a bit wider than the pot supports, it is not always easy to ensure the pot is sitting centrally over the flame.

To improve stability, I experimented with securing 3 tent pegs around the canister using ranger bands and shoving these into the ground. It wasn't a major improvement. So I bought a Gelert Gas Canister Stand, which is a 3-legged folding support that clips onto the base of the gas canister. You can see it attached to the canister in the photo above, and it folds down nicely when not in use. It comes with 3 short plastic pegs which are useless and I've binned them and I use regular wire pegs instead. I just level the stove by shimming up the legs if necessary, then peg them down solidly.
I decided to modify the pot supports on the F1 Stove. I drilled a small hole in each of the 3 pot supports and pop-riveted on a section of worn out hacksaw blade (!). This increased the diameter of support from 110mm to 200mm. This means that when the Tatonka pots (Frying pan about 170mm diameter, pot about 140mm diameter) are on top, they are super steady and I can judge if they are positioned centrally by looking at the pot supports which now protrude beyond the pots. I did experiment on whether to put the teeth-edge of the blade upwards, thinking it might grip the pot base but in fact the plain edge seems best so I put the blade sections on plain-edge upwards.
I'm sure this is basic stuff for a lot of you guys but I thought I'd share in case it's of use to someone.
Here's a close-up of the stove mod.

Cook-Kit002_zps8132dd7a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE