Cotton smocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arnoldus

Sep 14, 2008
Belgium
Hi,

I am looking for smocks in cotton (I need breathable fabrics because I sweat a lot) and am investigating the windproof ones.
Ventile fabrics are above my budget. I'm still looking into the SASS smock, but I believe the new cheapest version is poly-blend and not 100% cotton.
I saw this on eBay, but don't know if it's real or inferior fake (http://cgi.ebay.fr/NEW-STYLE-WINDPR...70988QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262) What do you guys think?

Are there any other affordable options?

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I would advise against cotton mate! If you sweat alot as you say then the cotton will soak this up and will then absorb your body heat.
Wet fabric against your skin will make you cold and uncomfortable.

Try looking for a breathable synthetic fabric.

J

arnoldus

Three thoughts

I have a jacket just like the one you linked to, mines a bit tatty but i only paid £1 for it and waterproofed it in the sink.

Speaking as a sweaty person - its not really that good.

Second thought: I'm planning to copy what this guy did
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19086&highlight=ventile+smock

Third: Quality will be remembered long after price has been forgotten - especially in the rain and wind

Cheers
SBW

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I would advise against cotton mate! If you sweat alot as you say then the cotton will soak this up and will then absorb your body heat.
Wet fabric against your skin will make you cold and uncomfortable.

Try looking for a breathable synthetic fabric.

J

Sorry mate, got to disagree.

The secret to staying comfy with a cotton / ventile smock is to wear natural base layers.

It doesn't stop you sweating, but keeps you warm anyway.

I would agree with you if we were talking about base layers, but a smock is fine.

Having worn a cotton SASS smock for years, and now a ventile smock, I can assure you that I prefer cotton to my goretex jackets in all but the wettest weather.

Simon

arnoldus

Sep 14, 2008
Belgium
Thanks guys, I always wear wool or PP shirt of course!
When it poors, I put on a poncho anyway.

I'll remember the bespoke option, but even that will cost a fair bit on a student's budget, I think a SASS is cheaper in that case. I'll have a look around for alternatives though (the Endicotts is no longer sold I see).

arnoldus

Sep 14, 2008
Belgium
Budget is about <100£. The cheapest SASS is about 85£ I believe, however it is a polycotton blend, not pure. The other ones are above 100£ without shipping.

Anyhow, I purchased a used army from ebay for 25£, I'll see how it does, I can always save up for a ripstop SASS

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
iv heard great things about the swedish smocks. there has been alot of talk on here about them and some have modified them, dying them, wooden buttons, longer sleevs, extra pockets etc.
only if i could find a small:puppy_dog
if someone has a small they want to sell feel free to pm me:)

pete

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
I've got a SASS smock in OG .
Top quality manufacture, very good (cotton) fabric, classic design and great service.:cool:
Excellent value for money.

No connection etc...
Other than as a satisfied customer.

btw
In case you hadn't realised I quite like mine. :D

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
If you got sewing skills, you can purchase ETAproof coton (ventile) by the meter at Extremtextil.de
It's a bit expensive, so I wouldn't do it as a starter project.
But with skills and time, a nice top quality garment can be made for a very reasonable price.

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
I sweat a lot also and I like to wear unlined fleece. The wind blows through it and helps keep me dry. If it is colder and I am not sweating I put a light windbreaker over it.

David Enoch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE