Cordage for fishing line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
I have a long held aspiration to catch a fish, on a fishing rig, made completely from natural materials, by me :)

I have already made the complete set! hook, line and sinker and have experimented with various rigs .

I have fished with it on many occasions but never caught a fish. Except the one that broke my cordage line and got away. :rolleyes:

The most frustrating thing to happen is losing 30 feet of nettle cordage :( I think it must have been a big one.

The cordage is always the weak link for several different reasons.

1) It tends to snap (very frustrating)
2) It does'nt last very long in the water v's effort put in to make it
3) It tends to unspiral in the water.

Does anyone have any reccommendations as to what I could do next, to solve these problems. If anyone suggests mono filament I will scream the forum down :D

Suggestions welcome

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
First thought :
Labour intensive but if you made 3 thinner strands and platted them together, at least for a main line, it might stop that section from unraveling, then just a few feet of normal twisted cordage down to the hook. Giving les to unravel which would be quicker to replace.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I have read somewhere that many Native Americans used nettle line for fishing. With a leader made of womens hair.

I have made a braided nettle line. Approximately 1,5mm thick and very strong. Have yet to use it more than once though, without success that time.

As I have also heard, when using horse hair. Use hair from the stallion. The mare pee on it, making it brittle.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
spoony said:
think you can get plumbers hemp from b and q which is horses hair,

You can, but it certainly doesn't look or feel like horsehair... It looks like tow - the low-quality fibres that get discarded. It's good enough to practice with, and it makes an OK cordage, but I certainly don't think it's good enough for fishing line.

It does make very good tinder though... ;)

I could probably make a decent cordage from my own hair - it's certainly long enough, and there's plenty of it... :D

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Fire Starter said:
If anyone suggests mono filament I will scream the forum down :D

Monofilament :approve: :p :lmao:
I made some myself in science class years ago (useless) :D

What about braided willow?
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=8238&highlight=patrick+fish

There's another thread with fishing kit made by Patrick. IIRC the pics where posted by Stuart, but not sure on that. I'll try to dig the thread up ...

EDIT:
Found it:

Thread I was talking about:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=6429&highlight=stuart+fishing
Line was made from nettle though.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Patric is definately your man for this, I'm sure he'll be along soon with some helpful tips.

untill then some pictures of his homemade fishing kit might provide inspiration

fishing.jpg

fishing_2.jpg

fishing_3.jpg

fishing_4.jpg

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
spoony said:
think you can get plumbers hemp from b and q which is horses hair,
Plumbers hemp is...hemp!
It is definitely plant based as it works as tinder, horses hair (or any hair?)would singe and smell if you used it for taking a spark?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I have a fishingline I made with thin strips of goatskin twisted into a line. Its strong (very) when dry but becomes weaker when wet. I solved this with a light surface coat of oil to waterproof it and it seems to work a treat.

:D
Ed

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Ed said:
I have a fishingline I made with thin strips of goatskin twisted into a line. Its strong (very) when dry but becomes weaker when wet. I solved this with a light surface coat of oil to waterproof it and it seems to work a treat.

:D
Ed

Interesting stuff Ed. How thick was the goat skin and what length do you need for a good fishing line is it twisted up?

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
In my possibles kit and in my various emergency stashes I always have a small fishing kit with at least one sewing machine bobbin full of 50# Spider Wire. You can also sew with it. It's the diameter of 10# mono. You can also sew with it and it's extremely strong for many other purposes, such as lashing things together.

In the excellent movie 'Snow Walker', the Inuit girl was played by a native girl was was actually skilled in primitive living in the arctic and used those skills on a regular basis and she made sure her gear was authentic for the film. Part of her gear was a homemade, primitive fishing rig and the way she used it and cast with it was quite interesting. If you haven't seen the movie I highly recommend it.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Interesting stuff Ed. How thick was the goat skin and what length do you need for a good fishing line is it twisted up?
The skin was fleshed and scaped to be a drum skin, so it was very thin. I cut the skin into 1mm (aprox) wide ribbons and made the cordage in the usual way (ie twisting, not braiding).

One point though..... goat skin can be very tough when dry and can break when twisting it to make the cordage...... so ..... Soak the ribbons till they become pliable and make into cordage, then let it dry. You may notice (as it always happens to me) when the cordage is dry, it has become loose so you will need to undo it and re-do it dry which is easier now as the skin braids have been 'wet formed'.

Not really sure how much I used as I was using the offcuts after finishing the drum.... I just kept adding more till I had 10m

Its really strong stuff when dry and makes excellent binding, but remember you will need to waterproof it for a fishing line as it becomes weaker when saturated with water.

Hope this helps
:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE