Copper, steel and brass spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Had some time to kill in the workshop this morning so I made myself a spoon.
Spoon bowl: copper plumbing
Handle: bit of scrap steel
Rivets: bit of brass wire

9u3e5yty.jpg

a4urybug.jpg

gugabe7y.jpg

vuge6era.jpg

All made with a small propane torch, a few firebricks, railroad track anvil and a hammer. My forge is temporarily out of commission waiting for a new lining and I'm missing it terribly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a nice spoon Captaincrash. Nice mix of materials that blend pretty harmoniously and give a nice historical / arts&crafts feel to it.

(Please note that this being BCUK someone will be along in a minute to tell you that copper is not safe to eat with. I advise that you remove both their eyes with said spoon and tell them in a quiet and controlled voice to go away):lmao:

Hope the forge is up and running soon.

ATB,
GB.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Thanks for the comments, I'm enjoying working with different metals at the moment..... without the forge I have not been so productive as i would like......and as soon as the forge is back in service I have a long to-do list for myself!

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Looks fantastic. what did you use to make the indentation in the spoon?

I Annealed the copper and started lightly tapping with the ball side of a ball peen hammer on a block of wood. Started in the center and worked in a circle while slowly working my way to the outside. The copper work hardens pretty quick and needed to be annealed a few times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE