Scorp mask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I couldn't dump this in my usual carboot tool thread as the Ray Iles scorp was got for me new as a present.

4mm veg tan, copper rivets and washers, recycled brass roll pin buckle, linen thread. The whole thing was dipped in hot beeswax and will lighten off a bit when its fully cured.

The easiest way I found to get the curve right was to cut card templates of the 3 sections from thick card but all parts over long so they could be trimmed to size. the inside section with the strap I curved and masking taped on to the blade once it was centred and lined up with the top of the blade.

The central section I cut to fit around the blade with a 1/2 inch of leather all the way around. I then used contact adhesive on fix it in place on the 1st part then used more of the same to fix the front on to it, using more masking to hold it all in place.. Once that had cured I trimmed the outside two pieces to match the central piece then made the holes for the 4 end rivets with a pliers type punch. This tapers much less than my hammer punches so will go through 3 thick layers without stretching the top hole excessively. Being a tart I used a tongue depressor inbeween the back of the piece and the anvil part of the pliers to stop it digging into the leather. To be honest I usually went through just the top two layers then flipped the piece and using the mark that showed through the third layer as a guide cut through the last layer rather than go through all three at once.

Once the end rivets were on I removed the tape and the blade , attached the buckle and other rivets then sanded the edges smooth with a smooth Permagrit block.

I then got a double boiler going full of beeswax and once it had all melted soaked the mask for a few minutes, making sure everywhere got a good dose. As soon as it was out of the wax I fitted the blade back in and shaped the leather around it, using a hairdryer to keep the wax flexible and a rag to wipe off the excess.

Once it had gone good and hard i removed the blade, hit it with boiling water to remove the wax stuck to it, scraped out the slot and replaced the now cooled blade. I then made the holes for the buckles tongue ( i've noticed straps shrink before now during the hot waxing so now do it last ) and gave it a last go with the hair dryer and rag.

Not pretty but more than strong enough. I deliberately didn't bother with a loop to hold the tail of the strap after its passed through the buckle, just extra faff.

nC4jvLT.jpg

SUMFBEh.jpg

I'll now put a final edge on the thing and get some oil on it and (lightly) inside the slot.

On the off chance your not a avid follower of my carboot tools thread here's the equally no frills mask I made for the last drawknife I restored.

sCmf6vI.jpg

And since it don't merit its own post a little spatula /pot scraper I made to go with a camping pot from a mystery piece of wood in the shed. possibly sycamore.

5epWLYT.jpg

URpTILy.jpg

Thats all folks!

ATB

Tom

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Nicely done! I really need to get on with some sheath projects as my world has become full of naked blades.

Z

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, i really wasn't happy carrying something as sharp as those about without a guard on the edge. I could have improvised something with say split hose pipe or card board and gaffer tape but that didn't feel right.

Theres still a few bits that need covers, the file knife the middle son forged, a old green river knife copy I cleaned up, the faux Saxon sickle i cobbled together (i know they didn't have covers back in the day but the things like a razor!) and herselfs three throwing knives. However there's some woodwork i need to do so i've had to put all the leather working stuff away and take the false top off my bench.

Better get on with stripping the bark of some damson wood a mate gave me, old standing dead wood so its seasoned already. I may need to cut out some wormy bits but there should be enough for some big spoons.

ATb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE