Copper match case/ spy capsule.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

Made this match case from an old bit of 22mm copper pipe and the end cap is made from a plastic fizzy drinks bottle , a perfect fit :).
Got the inspiration for the end cap from a post on another forum where a guy made a spy capsule from two plastic Coke bottle tops super glued together, neat idea :cool:.

DSC03217Small.jpg

The sealed end is a soldered on end cap with an added lanyard loop made from an old brass cable connector. The match striker is made from sticky backed gripper tape, also an idea I borrowed :rolleyes:.

DSC03208Small.jpg
DSC03209Small.jpg

Size wise I made it roughly the same as the US issue one , could be quite a bit shorter though as the Swan Vestas are little over half as long. Leaves room for some tinder though.

DSC03210Small.jpg

Thinking of making another one for a small sewing kit maybe.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
That's quite nice. well executed.
I wonder if the bobbins from sewing machines would fit in there?
You can pick up packs of five in supermarkets.
Load it up with braided fishing line, add a few hooks/lures/sinkers, and voilà! pocket fishing kit.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
great idea and well executed mate!

just tried some of the various bobbins I have alas none fit :( , shame.

how much too small are they? - could you sand down some plastic (or even metal) ones a tad to fit?

pwb

Put a metal bobbin on the grinder, and bingo .

DSC03221Small.jpg

Just don't get a dent in the tube :eek:, might be an idea to thread the bobbins over a bit of cord to help draw them out.

Ideal for a micro Fishing kit or a small sewing kit , cheers Graham ;).

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Put a metal bobbin on the grinder, and bingo .

DSC03221Small.jpg

Just don't get a dent in the tube :eek:, might be an idea to thread the bobbins over a bit of cord to help draw them out.

Ideal for a micro Fishing kit or a small sewing kit , cheers Graham ;).

Looks good mate - what a team! :grouphug:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent! Now that I really like!

I once made a insert for a mini sewing kit that was a piece of plastic tube with some disks glued on and the needles were kept in the centre but it was too small (as it was for inside a recycled bust Maglite Solitaire) to hold a meaningfull amount of thread.

So how about a tube rather than a pin for drawing them out, soldered to the last bobbin?

Guess what I'll be buying when next in the hardware shop!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I wanted to try this but didn't have any copper pipe - but found out that glueing two tops back to back makes a case long enough for swan vestas.

Ok its not as strong as the copper version, but another option.

IMG_0194.jpg

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
How about a stalk (long screw or something) attached to the cap, that the bobbins slide over, so when you remove the cap the bobbins come with it?

Great idea though, and very nicely made.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE