cook set and mess tins- whats your choice?

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I am just starting out on this so I have the good fortune to be able to ask you guys.

I am looking for a cookset and mess tins/plate/bowl. I have looked around and found bits but not a complete set that suits, what do you use and why?

I must add that i dont want cheap teflon in my food and dont like the idea of aluminium. Ally is associated with alzhiemers disease and at my age i need all the help I can get! So I guess its stainless or titanium. Whats your thoughts on lexan plates/bowls do they keep food warm?

Let rip guys and maybe we can design the definative kit.

S
:thinkerg: :Thinkingo

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i tend to go for the zebra billy can. i cook in it and the steamer insert makes a good plate. it's stainless steel so no worries there. i don't like titanium as i find it doesn't transfer heat evenly and tends to burn food easily. not a problem if you're just boiling water, but my cooking tends to be a little more complex :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I use two 12cm Zebra billies for my general cook kit and a 10cm one for my light weight kit.

To lighten it further I've removed the handle and replaced it with a braided wire bail.

I've also replaced the lid with an aluminium one from an old pan set and from the same set I use the shroud of a solid fuel burner.

esbit.jpg

This is then surrounded with a wind shield which curls up inside the pot.

windshield.jpg

light-weight.jpg

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Both ideas sound good. My problem is I am fairly fastidious about eating! ie i dont want to eat out of a frying pan full of grease etc. I know this goes against the grain of some purists ie I only eat off of a birch bark plate then use it as lavatory paper after etc, etc :lmao: But there some things that matter, if you think I am odd I know a chap who only will only wear new white socks.... Now he is odd (sorry Gavin) oops!

:burnout:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
nothing wrong with that.
really it depends how much weight you want to carry. i prefer to use stainless steel cookware/cutlery as i can sterilise it by heating ofer a fire. if i'm planning to fry anything i take a small frying pan.
you'll find that most people are quite carefull about their food. a dose of the runs in the woods is not plesant.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
nothing wrong with aluminium, the connection with alzimiers has been disproved and it's lighter and transfers heat better than most. that's my choice and the stuff we use in the CF.

my .02

dean

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
If you dont mind taking the risk with aluminium, the the mini trangia may be a great option. If you look hard enough, you can even get one without the non stick pan. Alternatively, I have used MSR "folding" pots fo god knows how long and have nothing negative to say about them. For campfire cooking, a Zebra billy would, IMHO, be the best option. A size 14, say, would be big enough to cook everything and to still make use of the bowl/steamer. As you suggested in your title, army mess tins are also very versatile. I have used them to boil, fry, simmer and eat out of all in one morning.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
It depends. If i can light a fire my zebra is all I need else I'll use my Swedish army Trangia. The latter is a bit on the heavy side but a nice bit oif kit.

Moduser

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
2 options.
UK NATO '58 water bottle with a stainless crusader cup if you hate teflon. Use the '58 plastic cup or an '85 teflon lined replacement cup on top of the bottle and case the whole lot in an PLCE water bottle pouch which has space for your KFS set and other bits and bobs. A simple set up.
A Nalgene bottle, MSR stainless cup on top and a Snowpeak Ti 600 cup on the bottom is the expensive but kewl option. Various pouches available from the US like Kifaru.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Gibbsy,

I bought a set of those too, a couple of years ago.

Can you get the lids to stay on? I just don't have the technology!

AJB

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I'm still not convinced either way about the association between aluminium & Alzheimers so I just don't use the stuff if I can help it.

My Swedish Trangia is stainless and heavy but worth it's weight until I can afford to upgrade to a titanium equivilent (which will be a long way off I expect). The only problem I have with titanium is that you need to be very careful that you don't burn your food as the thin material transfers the heat very fast.

Moduser

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
A really cheap cooking pot could be made of a empty canned food tin and a small piece of metal wire.
I have several of these.
Don`t mind if I loose one, just buy a new food can, eat the content and poke holes for the metal handle. Wire for the handle can be found many places. Old fencing wire for instance.

f14bd04f.jpg

The one in the pic I made when hunting last fall. Needed something to cook my coffee in while waiting for the moose to come by.

Tor

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Listening to everyones advice a billie can is a good idea. I am going to put two holes in the side of a stainless teapot (1.5 Li) and make the equivalent of a zebra. So I have a billie with a flip lid, a pouring spout and a handle. I have cut the handle, lapped the metal, drilled a hole and put a screw and wingnut in it. Now the handle can be removed or fold flat agains the side of the pot. I plan to make a shallow square frying pan similar to the british dixie but only with a lip about 2cm high, with welded folding handle add a few corner holes added I have a skillet, underside can be used as a cutting tray. Slightly smaller but deeper tray to be used as a plate/bowel. Photos to follow when done.

Teapoct cost £ 1.50 in oxfam shop :naughty:

Whats the opinion chaps?

ps my mug fits inside the pot. :thinkerg:

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Wayland said:
I use two 12cm Zebra billies for my general cook kit and a 10cm one for my light weight kit.

To lighten it further I've removed the handle and replaced it with a braided wire bail.

I've also replaced the lid with an aluminium one from an old pan set and from the same set I use the shroud of a solid fuel burner.

esbit.jpg

This is then surrounded with a wind shield which curls up inside the pot.

windshield.jpg

light-weight.jpg

Nice i like it

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
sandsnakes said:
Both ideas sound good. My problem is I am fairly fastidious about eating! ie i dont want to eat out of a frying pan full of grease etc. I know this goes against the grain of some purists ie I only eat off of a birch bark plate then use it as lavatory paper after etc, etc :lmao: But there some things that matter, if you think I am odd I know a chap who only will only wear new white socks.... Now he is odd (sorry Gavin) oops!

:burnout:

I like to use a teaspoon to stir my coffee - so I have to carry one. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE