Mkettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Hi all,
Ok I was sent this Mkettle to take with me on a TA weekend to see what the guys there think of it. But the Mkettle didn’t arrive till I was on the weekend so I have decided to do review about it on here as I had not actually seen the Mkettle before.
IMAG0302-1-1.jpg
IMAG0293-1.jpg
IMAG0294.jpg
IMAG0289-1.jpg

When I first took it out of the box I was surprised by the size of the Mkettle compared to the other kettle that I have (Ghillie adventure). The size of the Mkettle is 17cm(7”) tall by 10cm (3.75”) diameter, it weights: 370g(13 oz) and is made of Hard Anodized Aluminium.

As I was supposed to be showing this kettle to a bunch of squaddies the Rip Stop Nylon Carry Bag it came with was a camouflage one with a zip around the top instead of the normal black bag with a pull cord. It comes fitted with two D-Rings as standard. So it can be fitted to a pack or bike or whatever you may wish to connect the kettle to.

As with the other types of kettle the fire base fits inside the top part of the kettle when not in use. The kettle holds just less than a pint and has a rubber bung that fits well to keep the water from running out of the kettle. I have read that some folk have an issue with the size of the hole as it is small and not funnelled like other kettles. But in my opinion it goes with the style of kettle and with the bung it can be used to hold water whilst travelling (as long as you are careful not to knock out the bung)

The kettle is surrounded by a Neoprene Sleeve which makes it possible to pick up the Mkettle when it is hot without burning your hands. Which surprises most folk including me as it is basically, well, rubber? But it is designed to resists burning and is used over a wide variety of applications.
When testing the Mkettle I used hexi blocks as my heat source I was reviewing the product to see how good it would perform if I should use it in my other hobby of being apart time squaddie. Which did work very well just forgot to time the kettle boil ....D’OH. But you can burn just about anything that you would use in a Ghillie or a Kelly kettle.

To start I used the Mkettle to boil up some water for a brew but as I was busy taking pictures of it in action. As I have already said, I forgot to time how long it took to heat up the kettle.

IMAG0302-1.jpg
IMAG03051-1.jpg
IMAG0301.jpg

And when it had boiled I just picked the kettle from the base and poured the water into a mug without burning my hands at all but you can feel a bit of warmth from the kettle. Nothing to worry about but I did think that it could make a nice hand warmer on a cold morning.

I then added some of the water into my crusader mug which had a snack in it of curry flavoured noodles and placed it on the fire base, which it fitted on/into very well. A few minutes later they were bubbling away nicely and I was having lunch with a brew within 15 to 20 minutes from starting the fire in the base to munching on the noodles.

IMAG0310-1.jpg
IMAG03151-1.jpg
IMAG0314.jpg

Should I wish to cook food with any other sort of cookware on the fire base I would have to use a couple of tent pegs resting on the base to sit the cookware on, so that I could leave a gap at the top for the smoke to escape. On the Mkettle website there is a stand that fits on top of the kettle but to use that you would have to leave water in the kettle so not to do any damage to it.

IMAG0295-1.jpg
IMAG0296-1.jpg
IMAG0297-1.jpg
IMAG0300-1.jpg
IMAG02991-1.jpg

As for cleaning it, it’s the same as any other Ghillie or Kelly kettle you just have to get on with it and wash it clean. With a bit of scrubbing it was as good as new in a couple of minutes.

IMAG0316-1.jpg
IMAG0317.jpg

I’d like to say that I like the Mkettle. It’s a good size for carrying around over a long distance either full of water or empty. It fits easily in one of my old green webbing utility pouches so it could be put in a back pack with no difficulty at all. But I must say I would worry if I carried it around in my army webbing on exercise as I would be concerned that I might crush it. Like I have done with army mess tins in the past. But I would happily carry it in my Bergen withthe rest of my kit.

It's size makes it very useful if you are just out for the day and not wanting to carry too much. As for me it will be taking the place of my Ghillie kettle when I go to beaches this summer when on holiday with the family. Even the wife is happy that I’ll be lugging something smaller than my 1.5 LTR Ghillie kettle around with me to make the cups of tea and coffee with.

If your using the base to cook for the 5000. I think you might need to look for a bigger Kettle. But the base is plenty big enough for one or even two at a push as long as you don’t want to cook a Sunday dinner on it. The base even fits Trangia burner inside it should you have one of them, which I don’t (Sounds like another GB in the future to me)

I’d Like to add a few comments from widu13 That He put On the Group buy that I am doing (or was depending when you read this) As he remember to set his watch when testing his Mkettle :-

I got my MKettle today. Yes it's small and yes it holds 500ml!
Just tested it with my Whitebox Stove and from bloom to boil with cold water at 10c outside with no wind, I had a rolling boil in 4 mins flat. Not tried solid fuel yet though. My home-made pop can stove, Budweiser Stove and mini bullstove also works.

My concern at the moment is the longevity of the neoprene sleeve which is in direct contact with the metal containing the water. I can see the heat degrading that fairly quickly?

It's a double edged sword really as you have to weigh off the compact size (which is a lot smaller than the Maverick) against having to source a new sleeve whenever it expires.

Also....

Just used some windblown (slightly damp) Ash twigs from my garden and got a rolling boil in 8 mins. Once going the chimney really draws the flames. With dry wood I think the time would be around 6 mins. As is the norm with wood there was some tar left in the chimney and fire bowl.

The only issue I discovered was that once it was boiling and I attempted to remove the kettle the tar had stuck the kettle to the fire bowl, but I didn't notice until the fire bowl and burning contents dropped onto my shoes!

Thanks for that widu13 (hope your shoes are ok)

In conclusion
The Mkettle is a small light weight kettle that does not take up much space in you kit. You can use it for cooking on as long as you’re not cooking for the 5000. If necessary it could be used as a water bottle in an emergency. It’s just a nice bit of kit to have around when you fancy a brew.

And thanks for reading this folks
Sandbag47

Last edited:

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
That looks very handy!! I've got the smallest KK but this looks a bit more compact. Good review, mate. Cheers.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Just for those wondering I can also confirm that the fire bowl will accommodate a Dutch steel/ali mug as well but will NOT accommodate a Nalgene compatible mug either on the fire bowl or sitting the MKettle inside it. It will however take the fire bowl in the mug with the Mkettle on top. It won't then fit in the bag and is then 9 3/4" tall, but you can carry some brew kit in the mug and fuel in the fire bowl ready to go.

When using solid fuel/wood, I would like to add that the initial firing is sped up by building the fire in the bowl first, putting the MKettle on and THEN lighting it as the MKettle will draw the flames and catch the material much quicker.

Oh, and the draw bag could do with being 1/2" wider as it's a bit tight.

I'm pleased with mine.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
This looks good- the size of the kelly kettle type things has always put me off those larger versions. I'm not sure I would be using one for military activities though as I tend to heat my food through with the same water I later turn into a brew.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've had one for about 6 months now...picked it up off Evilbay and use it in place of my small Ghillie Kettle.

As others have said, a nice piece of kit that fits easily in a utility pouch.

Ditto on widu13's comments about the bag being a bit tight, but other than that, no complaints.

Simon

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Nice review, thanks! I'm not sure that I'd use it when being "Green" as the boil-in-the-bags don't fit in it. I too tend to make a brew and cook boil-in-the-bag at the same time, usually in a Jetboil.

Sometimes you need a quick boil, other times you don't mind taking your time. The MKettle should do well for an in-between. looking forward to getting one.

Claudiasboris

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Finally got a chance to use mine last night. Worked really well with hexamine (we've no natural sources of fuel at cadets).

Be careful (as with most cookers) not overfill with water. I did two loads: the first to boil off any nasties left inside and the second for a hot chocolate. I did worry with the first one about picking up the kettle with the spout lobbing loads of boiling water about so I picked it up before it was on a full boil. The second load was filled with a little less water but I wasn't able to watch it as closely. Consequently it boiled over and put the fire out. Saved me a job I guess but then I had to get rid of half burnt hexy.

Still, my mistakes notwithstanding, I'm very impressed with the MKettle: nice and compact and esy to use.

Thanks for the GB!

Claudiasboris

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys, sorry to hijack but which model kettle is this and how much did it cost? It looks like a great bit of kit!! also does it come with the bags seen in the pictures?
Cheers
Steve

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
You are not hijacking jacko1066. The cost is MKettle £42.46 incP&P. I can ask for you if thats the bag you would like!
Have a look here
http://www.freewebstore.org/GhillieKettleCompany/MKettle/cat399487_987011.aspx
There is a group buy in the group buy forum. If you want one put you order inthere ore PM me .(Thats what most people in this GB seem to have done)

Claudiasboris thanks for your comments. Glad your happy with you Mkettle

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Ok I asked steve from Ghillie and he said that I have the only bag in that colour. All the other bags are the black ones with pull cords.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE