convince me i need a ..........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Good man, Robbi.

I wish I'd had an SAT instead of being issued mess tins.

I've never looked back since I got mine.

Liam

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Glad you are going for it - check out Military Mart, I got my SS SAT from them no affiliation etc, just good service.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Great bit of kit, like its been said before, top of the fuel bottle needs a little work to seal properly, I used a rubber washer in mine (tap washer if memory serves me correct)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
well, fair play to Surplus and Outdoor, i ordered the SAT on Sunday evening and it arrived today, really good condition with all the bits as promised. Big thumbs up to the lads and lasses at S & O. many thanks indeed.

Now for some experimenting and fun :)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Tank, you're a gent mate but i already have 2 folding ones ( second one just incase i meet someone that fancies a brew as well ) many thanks for the offer anyway :)

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I saw those rubber kuksa's years ago and thought "what a teeny weeny cup, that's as good as useless" - I didn't know they folded out...

Doh!

Liam

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Bah. Now I have to buy one. You guys are all natural salesmen. Especially you Kepis *wags finger*

who me?

images

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I've had an SAT for a few years now and love it. It is heavier than some dixies/cooksets/messtins but worth it for it's robustness and functionality.

I started using a couple of the fold out Swedish cups but found they didn't really hold enough and the little handle was a pain. I ended up buying a pack of full size plastic cups that slot together (think they were from LIDL) and stashed a couple inside. Although they're bigger than the folding cups, you can roll up a brew kit and slot it inside the cup so you're still using the space well.

I use instant coffee sachets (about 8 or so), a couple of soup sachets, little pot of squeezy bovril, KFS set, tin opener and nylon panscrub. Finished off with matches in a 35mm film tub. The burner sits on top inside the lid.

I keep the meths bottle in 2 ziplock bags and the cups/brew kit in another. This way there's less chance of contamination and you can simply pull the contents out rather than removing on bit at a time then trying to find a safe place to put them while you fire it up. The civvy trangia burner with simmer control is a great help.

I made a bag for mine out of a forces tube scarf which fits perfectly and stops it snagging in my bergen or daypack. I'm planning to get another one to keep in the car to save me digging it out each time we go to the beach

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
First of all, why go for the stainless steel one? I have both, and find the alu one is bombproof as it is, is lighter, cheaper, and spreads the heat better for more even cooking. Despite being an amateur stovie (boys love playing with fire etc), the SATs are my go-to stove, and always keep at least one set in the car.

Re the folding cups, the small ones are a bit too small. However, you can get the bigger version (600ml), which are excellent. I got most of my SATs and large folding cups from Military Mart - no connection etc - and have always got good service and prices from them. I actually bought a number for Xmas pressies last year (great to keep in the boot for bad winters or just an impromptu brew-up etc).

Agree 100% with recommendations to keep burner and meths bottle separate from the interior of the set unless stored in good-quality ziplock bags - having to wash out the smell/taste of meths before use is a pain!

Don't forget that the windshield makes a very good woodburner as well (both ways up!). It turns a nice coppery colour after the first burn or two, and gets a bit softer, but after multiple burns (50+ as woodstove) still does the job with no further signs of deterioration.

I'm currently awaiting a larger but very light (M4) burner from Minibull Designs with a "bird-feeder" set-up to give me extended cooking times for the SAT (several hours potentially) - will post details as and when I get a chance to try it out..........

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
well, i figured the stainless one would be easier to clean.

just out of interest, does anyone put a strap around their SAT when it's all packed up so that it can be carried by the pot hanger without the wind shield falling off ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE