convince me i need a ..........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Stainless steel swedish army trangia set up.

looking for something compact that i can take on bimbles and fishing to heat up soup and cook sausages and onions with, nothing fancy just snacks and a brew.

i've got an Optimus (sp) folding mini gas burner thingy but with the cannister, pots and pan, it still takes up room, plus food etc. and my standard trangia cook set is just too big.

is there room in the top of the swedish army trangia set up to store a couple of sausages, coffee sachets / cup a soup and a collapsable swedish army cup ?

all advice and tips welcome :)

cheers guys.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
cheers for that Mike but i've got the hots for the swedish army set up, i just need convincing that the rollocking from SWMBO will be worth it :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll knock you up a Whitebox clone next week if you want to try one? They work better on a wider pot about 12cm across

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I use a few different setups but my favorites are:

Crusader mug, stove and nato water bottle with heavy cover lid
USGI Canteen, mug and stove
White box stove and zebra billy can
MyTiMug, MyTiCup and Ti hexi stove and have bought another :)
Stainless steel nalgene and hobo stove with tatonka burner
Collapsible wood stove and billy can

All effective and i want to take pics of all of them in use for my blog, will when i get some time!! :)

Crusader or Ti id go for though :)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
ah, yes a lynx can stove, i've made one that i use with a hexi cooker, works quite well and very compact but i'm still looking for that "all in one" set up rather than have lots of bits in bags if you see what i mean. ( bag for stove and fuel, gas or meths, bag for food, bag for wind shield ) just thinking that the swedish army set up, if it has enough storeage in the top would be a "one container holds all" set up ( apart from water of course )

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
The SAT will do all you want of it, isn't that much heavier than the alu one, you can store grub in it (I use sealable plastic bags to avoid any taint from the meths + keep the burner in this bag). I don't store meths in the burner and keep the meths bottle on my person or in the pack depending on the time of year. The SAT is robust, effective and versatile.

Enough convincing? Go on............you know your worth it........... :)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Don't care for 'em , meself, bit on the heavy side for me, but if you want it, buy it!
Put up with the wife-grief & when you find it's not quite what you're after, trade it on.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The SAAC (Swedish Army Alcohol Cookset, not a Trangia) are great pans to use over a fire with a mediocre burner as backup...but they are cheap and worth the money if only for the stainless steel pot and lid.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
i just need convincing that the rollocking from SWMBO will be worth it :)

It would be worth it, love mine, replaced mine with a zebra billy and a honey stove, but still not convinced its better than the SAT.

Its a cracking compact set, get the plastic kuska in with the set and away you go. (meths bottle is not the best and wouldnt trust it to not leak)
Inside mine i keep the kuska at the bottom with the burner in, pot grabs, spork, lighter, a bag of coffees and sugars etc. with a water bottle and some meths your good to go.

Last outing it had.
brewing up with the meths burner
CIMG5985.jpg

Over the fire
IMAG0580.jpg

Cottage Pie :)
IMAG0600.jpg

Great bit of kit and has never let me down. its not the smallest, but you can fit a lot in it and have it ready to go.

Last edited:

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
Agree about the meths bottle - I use a hip flask = and although the army burner is adequate, the civvy or Tatonka is much better. In fact the Tatonka is better than the civvy Trangia in my opinion.

Are we convincing you yet..........?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I have the swedish army trangia and its brilliant!!!! Defo get the civvy burner though, the simmer ring is a very very handy bit of kit!!! Also I was given some great advice of puttinh the burner and meths bottle inside zip lock bags, it stops the smell/taste of meths getting inside the billy can!! Its not been mentioned here but if you cant light a fire or use the burner you can build a small fire in the wind shield although it does take some tendering!!!
Extremely versatile robust compact cheap as chips kit!!
I got mine unissued for £10!! cant beat it mate!!
All the best
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE