computer boffin requierd in or near swindon

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
evening

after tring to install chrome my laptop is rubbish.can anyone help and i'll bring a pressie along
cheers ade

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
evening

after tring to install chrome my laptop is rubbish.can anyone help and i'll bring a pressie along
cheers ade

Just installing Chrome wouldn't affect your system performance. Its more then likely something else.

Do you have any virus/malware protection? If so do a full system scan.
Do you have CCleaner installed? If not install it, do a full file and registry clean to get rid of crap/fix registry errors.

I would also recommended installing an app like TuneUP Utilities, This will help tune up your system to get back performance. On first run you can run the 1click maintenance app then after that launch the main control center and choose profile settings.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
CCleaner can cause problems, I had to expunge this before I could get my PC right. Try Googling CCleaner problems.

Elen Sentier

F-Secure is my security, excellent and less farty than kapersky. Perfectdisk and PCTools are the rest, work a dream and all in the background. Personally, I wouldn't touch Chrome with a barge-pole, disinfected at both ends and insulated in the middle :D. Suspect Scouse may well be your best bet, or it might be a reboot ... arrrgghhh !!!

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I keep all my stuff on external hard drives so if a computer goes bad it is simple to wipe it completely and re-install the operating system:) also if/when I upgrade and get a new computer I still have all my stuff with no need to copy files across.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Too be honest I think it needs wiping clean and starting again . It came with windows 7 on it . Didn't get the install disc . I'm am totally computer illiterate . I think it would need some one local to sort it out . I would happily pay or have some things to trade.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Do yourself the biggest favour of your life: Download a copy of the latest Ubuntu (free) and install it on your laptop, having first saved what you need from the laptop, ( CD, DVD, Usb drive etc. ) Install that on your machine and it'll offer you the option to wipe and clean the disk; New system, fresh start....................

I've used Ubuntu now for over 5yrs. and I've never had a problem of any description since then - all upgrades are free and automatic, the Operating System comes with all the software you need and there's any amount of it available from within the system.............have a read about it on the net, I couldn't recommend it highly enough..................atb mac

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I keep all my stuff on external hard drives so if a computer goes bad it is simple to wipe it completely and re-install the operating system:) also if/when I upgrade and get a new computer I still have all my stuff with no need to copy files across.

A very sensible approach and one I use too. I use Chrome, FF, Torch and IE10, never had a browser mess up a system yet.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Do yourself the biggest favour of your life: Download a copy of the latest Ubuntu (free) and install it on your laptop, having first saved what you need from the laptop, ( CD, DVD, Usb drive etc. ) Install that on your machine and it'll offer you the option to wipe and clean the disk; New system, fresh start....................

I've used Ubuntu now for over 5yrs. and I've never had a problem of any description since then - all upgrades are free and automatic, the Operating System comes with all the software you need and there's any amount of it available from within the system.............have a read about it on the net, I couldn't recommend it highly enough..................atb mac

I second this. This is that I run. Would never go back.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
When you install Ubuntu, it comes with both Firefox and Chrome, and you get to choose which you use..............you can chop and change as often as you like and it's easy; you can also download and use any open-source software available free, most of it available (with reviews) from within Ubuntu itself............It's now a really smooth and slick system, very user-friendly, and everything you do on it is compatible with M'soft systems, i.e.
documents and other stuff can be opened and read seamlessly by any other machine. I fail completely to understand why anybody would go and buy M'soft..................atb mac

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have Ubuntu running on one of my machines, however it is an older and no longer supported version (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 'Lucid Lynx'). The newer 'Unity' UI doesn't do it for me and the more recent addition of 'contextual advertising' in the dash has put me off upgrading to current releases of Ubuntu.

However 10.04 looks good, works flawlessly and allows me to get on with doing useful stuff as opposed to faffing around with a computer stuff.

I keep all my stuff on external hard drives so if a computer goes bad it is simple to wipe it completely and re-install the operating system also if/when I upgrade and get a new computer I still have all my stuff with no need to copy files across.

Ditto, this also means that my files are available on any of my machines, one of which is a Mac, the Ubuntu one and an old XP machine. You might also consider storing stuff in 'the cloud' most services will give you a good few gigabytes for free. Obviously store nothing there you wouldn't want US intelligence agency staff rummaging through, however I'm more than happy for them to have my old trip photos, recipe books etc. etc. :)

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks for all your help guys and girls . I'll try unbutu later

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Its fun and easy to use but be prepared to flaff about with things like printer drivers et al. Regardless what the the fanboyz say its not as straight forward as Windows. I'm running Mint on a laptop and its OK but personally I'd not use it daily.

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
+1 for Ubuntu, I have a dual boot system on a Dell using Vista/Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal), It's the Most stable version i've used yet, To be fair i have more problems with Vista than Ubuntu, Yeah Ubuntu can be a faff, So can Windoze, Each to their own.
[h=1][/h]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE