coming soon!! Shaving soap with BCUK logo natural/ bio degradeable

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
right guys had a shave last night and was very pleased it lathered up really easy and worked a treat i will buy some when it comes on the market if being ultra critical i would have liked a stronger sandlewood smell but that was all , pics of the product in action, atb wayne

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Arrived today thanks! Unfortunately have tiger balm on my bruised ribs (injured in an unfortunate 'being an idiot' accident), so can't smell them, will use ASAP and feed back on them - the wee tartlet cases are a good idea though.

Think I might go for one of the old fashioned shaving scuttles - that shape will fit the top perfectly.

mugsoap082.jpg

Used the sandalwood this evening - it's been a long time since I've used a shaving brush and soap - don't know why I stopped. Great shave, like the soap (although I agree with whoever said the smell was really light in the Sandalwood). I was right - the tartlet case shape suits the shaving scuttle perfectly - so I'll be asking for that when I order more - saves me having the 'why are you putting soap through my grater' argument.....

I will definitely order more though.

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
Hi Guys
Passed on the feedback to Mrs - here's what she had to say:
Thank you chaps for passing on your honest feedback - this is exactly what I was looking for. I've been making soap for ages but never offered the shaving stuff commercially before and really thrilled with how many of you have taken some and tried it for me. I'm really happy to have your feedback, this is exactly what I need as I want to make a really great quality product for you all that you will enjoy using and find value for money - it's really important to me to create something people actually want and to get the product just right. I was a bit nervous of using too much Sandalwood absolute as it's going on your faces but I agree there wasn't a long lasting scent from it so I'll increase concentration in the next batch. Please do keep letting me know what you think - all constructive comments are really appreciated and will help me to improve the product - and I loved the pictures Wayne perhaps you missed your calling - perhaps I should approach for permission to use them in my catalogue! ;-)
PS I will be very happy to supply the finished product in any denomination you like - I agree with your lady Rod I'd have to shoot GB with one of his own catapults if I ended up with soap in my cheese grater! haha xx

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
Hi Guys
Passed on the feedback to Mrs - here's what she had to say:
Thank you chaps for passing on your honest feedback - this is exactly what I was looking for. I've been making soap for ages but never offered the shaving stuff commercially before and really thrilled with how many of you have taken some and tried it for me. I'm really happy to have your feedback, this is exactly what I need as I want to make a really great quality product for you all that you will enjoy using and find value for money - it's really important to me to create something people actually want and to get the product just right. I was a bit nervous of using too much Sandalwood absolute as it's going on your faces but I agree there wasn't a long lasting scent from it so I'll increase concentration in the next batch. Please do keep letting me know what you think - all constructive comments are really appreciated and will help me to improve the product - and I loved the pictures Wayne perhaps you missed your calling - perhaps I should approach for permission to use them in my catalogue! ;-)
PS I will be very happy to supply the finished product in any denomination you like - I agree with your lady Rod I'd have to shoot GB with one of his own catapults if I ended up with soap in my cheese grater! haha xx

ha ha i don't think im a catalogue type, the wife did a quick snap on the iphone. when you do another batch of the sandle wood with a stronger smell you can put my name on it as it stood up to my shaving soap i bought from the states so i think you have done a super job as it coped with the full beard and straight razor in one pass. going to try tonight on a light stubble ,atb wayne

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
Tried mine out yesterday, they make a nice lather, but I couldn't smell them at all I'm affraid, the honey or the sandlewood, it may be because I'm a smoker so my sense of smell isn't as good as it should be.

Fatbob

Nomad
Jun 29, 2012
Godmanchester
I have to agree about the saddle wood samples, they lather fine but do not smell very much at all, but on a positive note I would definately be up for a full size version with stronger sandalwood concentration:)

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
Oil concentrations was a point my mrs agreed on with you guys as she was unsure of too much sandlewood absolute on peoples faces however there will be a much higher concentration of all the essentials in the next batch which will be full size items. she is negotiating a deal at the mo with eric of this parish as to the costing and time scale of some beautiful wood bowls she is preparing a full size bowl soap. for him to use as a template in the bowl turning which from what ive seen are stunning examples of wood turning.
so when we get this deal sorted we can give a price on the finished items the price will be kept as low as possible. we will still be doing tart size for those who want them also shaving sticks. and as weve not mentioned it before now my mrs has an online catalogue containing all sorts of bath and pamper stuff which will be amazing as gifts and such for friends relatives and of course our good ladies. thing is I don't know how to get to the download page thing but if anyone is interested am sure Karen can email the list to you.
cheers guys. GB

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
For attention Fatbob, Leedsbrew, Rod Paradise, Mereside (Wayne) and Adamson - sorry chaps that I don't know your proper names ;)
This is Karen, John's Mrs - I have new and improved Sandalwood ready for product testing, John's deleted all his old messages so I don't still have all your addresses, however as the four of you were all so kind as to provide feedback on the last one, I'd like to send further samples of the new improved for your feedback please?
I've increased the Sandalwood oil concentration to 4% - recommended is 1 to 2 and I used 2% last time - John thinks it's much better I'd like your opinions before it's offered for sale.
If I could ask you if you are willing to product test this one for me I'd be so grateful. If you could all please PM John again with your addresses I'll get samples out to you this week.
I'm hoping the improved version hits the spot much better - and of course to be clear - all I would like in return please from the four of you is for you to pass on your comments either through the forum or directly to me on email.
Everyone else -once me and my product testers are happy with it I'll get it on the site for sale!!
Thank you
Karen x

Last edited:

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
Hi Chaps
We have now some Bergamot absolute back in stock - can make some sample sizes of Bergamot Shaving soap or Bergamot and Orange if preferred - as before please PM with address and I will provide email address to which you can send your paypal payment of £1.00 for the postage - you are not paying for the soap - just the cost of getting it to you.
As you can see form previous post, if you please could be kind enough to post any constructive feedback for my Mrs when you've had chance to try it she may choose you as one of her future product testers!
Cheers
GB

PS if anyone has not yet received their samples ordered from the last batch, please PM me and I will make sure they are despatched straight away. I'm sure I didn't miss anyone - but if anyone didn't receive theirs it may have been lost in the post and I'm keen to put that right.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Can you make a shampoo soap bar? That would be awesome. Saves on taking separate shampoo into the woods. If it is possible, I would buy many bars.

Now that sounds like a good idea as long as it lathers up well for my cold showers lol. ;)

I am working on a portable on demand gas fired water heater for the 2014 NC, no more cold showers for subscribers. I suppose a wood fired one would be more Bushcrafty but then Rome wasn't built in a day. Hmm, that has just made me think, NC Roman steam bath with Honey scented soap, sweet! Oops, just remembered it is a Medieval theme, no washing for 6 months then.

Chef

PS: Will honey scented soap attract Welsh wasps or repel them? Currently researching effective wasp traps for next year! Oh, and is it Sandlewood they use to make clogs?

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can you make a shampoo soap bar? That would be awesome. Saves on taking separate shampoo into the woods. If it is possible, I would buy many bars.

Its a simple enough thing to make a conditioning shampoo, shaving soap and clothes wash bar that fulfils all needs - needs to be slightly "superfatted" is all It can be made optimal for one purpose or a decent average for all.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
It's my bit's I wash when out and about, and only my bits. Save the shampoo for when you get back. Hair needs combed or brushed, it doesn't actually need washed, if you're happy smelling like a dog just go with it out in the boonies :)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
It's my bit's I wash when out and about, and only my bits. Save the shampoo for when you get back. Hair needs combed or brushed, it doesn't actually need washed, if you're happy smelling like a dog just go with it out in the boonies :)

Do you wash the rest of your hand drill or just lightly oil it?

Most women don't like smelling like a dog or having long greasy hair even in the boonies! I must say I feel like death when I feel like I am rotting on my feet. I good shower is like resurrection.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Do you wash the rest of your hand drill or just lightly oil it?

Most women don't like smelling like a dog or having long greasy hair even in the boonies! I must say I feel like death when I feel like I am rotting on my feet. I good shower is like resurrection.

My bit's include my feet, I just wash the bits that need washing. Most women would kill for the (can't spell the french blokes name) hair, wrap it in a towel for 6 weeks and Vera's yer auntie. The only reason I know it smells like dawg, is my pal Gordon told me thats how his wife's hair went when she tried it. He like it :)

Seriously, I don't get the need to wash for a few days when out and about unless you're sharing intimate space with someone. The bits, need washing but thats about it. Where I live washing the exposed bits only makes you more attractive to the billions of biting beasties.

Last edited:

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I can't remember the last time I used product on my hair which is now quiet long, and I only use natural products on my body, when I have tried to or had to use chemicals my skin feels like it is on fire.

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
that's why we only use the minimum of chemistry my daughter is the same as you skin wise and she uses our stuff yet even if she put her finger in a bowl containing washing up liquid even minute her fingers ends up bright red and itching like fury.. my mrs had the same problem that's why she started to make her own stuff...

I can't remember the last time I used product on my hair which is now quiet long, and I only use natural products on my body, when I have tried to or had to use chemicals my skin feels like it is on fire.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
My daughter seems to have an allergy to washing up liquid too...

On a serious note I've been using the tea tree shaving soap for a couple of weeks now. Very good lather, scent is nice but as others have said the scent doesn't last very long.
Very pleased with the soap overall, always used gel in the past but think I'm converted to the soap now.

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
thank you so much it means a lot to us to get feedback and glad you have converted to soap I used to use gel and my face never liked it much either cant beat a good razor brush and soap.
cheers
My daughter seems to have an allergy to washing up liquid too...

On a serious note I've been using the tea tree shaving soap for a couple of weeks now. Very good lather, scent is nice but as others have said the scent doesn't last very long.
Very pleased with the soap overall, always used gel in the past but think I'm converted to the soap now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE