Comfortable In The Wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
If you want to avoid being waken by the sun in the morning, remember to place the shelter according to this.

If you're sleeping on a slope, sleep with legs downwards.

Don't take too long breaks when walking. Muscles will stiffen fast.

Know when the sun goes down. And carry a watch. :)

Put your mess kit in a cotton bag and you will avoid other things getting black + it's easy to keep track of parts this way.

When packing stuff ask yourself if this item is a necessary or a comfort item? Ask if you are likely to need it and if there are parts that can be switched with something else and better.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
If your hiking, know route intimately ;)

Dont leave your phone on if your travelling through area's and your going in and out of signal(wastes battery),

Dont let annoyance take hold of your mind :eek:

Do know the mountion rescue number,

DONT LEAVE YOUR WASTE BEHIND YOU! If your leaving a tin can behind burry it at least please :)

Never be to proud to ask directions,

and dont get caught stalking people!!!! :D

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Adam what about your mattress tip. Forget your termarests a bin bag full of leaves, moss etc. is far better.

My personal one is to simple follow the scout motto it's similier to what chirskavanagh was saying. 'Be Prepared' for everything in your mind before you go and keep on smiling this what your out there for to experience the outdoors worts and all.

Also take your time your out there to enjoy yourself not to rush about the country side trying to back a years outing in to two days and night.

Pack some nestle Mocho's they're great.

James

PS. Like the idea of the easy heat up meals Artichobo. Makes alot of sense.

W

Walkabout

Always put in 100% effort on a shelter. It only rains when you build a poor shelter.
Dont bother chopping firewood into tiny pieces. It just wears you out.
Make sure all your pans have lids.
Hang everything up or pack it away before you go to sleep. Finding slugs in your billies and rolls is not fun.
Always have spare tinder and kindling in your shelter for first thing in the morning.

Tex

Nov 3, 2004
Pymble, Sydney, Australia
take a few bars of trixoninate, cheep and will light with the smallest spark. Good for when youv'e left it to late to make the fire traditionally.

MSR windsheild, protects fire and or acts as a very good heat reflector.

Tex

Nov 3, 2004
Pymble, Sydney, Australia
all empty stuff sacs go into the largest sac, which is closed up after and is left inside the tent or pegged to the ground. Running agross Darmoor, in your underware at nite no a good look :D

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
shamelessly borrowed from one of those self improvement thingies, but a good one anyway

HALT,

stands for

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

all situations which will increase the likelihood of making bad decisions

and all situations that if you stop and think about it for a min you can probably do something about, even if it is stopping where ya are and pitch camp for the night instead of pushing the last half mile

nothing like a little fire and a hot cuppa for company too

Tant

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
when attempting to light a fire by rubbing two sticks together, ensure one of them is a match.
also
never look inside a packet of boil in the bag rations while eating them. ever.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
check inside your boots and on the soles of your small socks for stones, twigs etc before you bring the two together. saves much pain and blisters later in the day. I've had some funny looks when people see me rubbing my sock before putting my boots on, but it's become such a habit now I don't even think about it.

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I think the most helpful thing is a Japanese proverb: "The embarassment of the traveller is soon washed off".

Never be embarassed to sing songs, talk to forest creatures or splash in puddles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE