Comfortable In The Wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Scouting for Boys said:
The trained backwoodsman knows the ways of the woods. He can make himself comfortable in a thousand small ways.
The idea of the thread is that we list all the ways we know of making ourselves comfortable in the wilderness and finally we'll hopefully have a thread full of small, nice tricks. :) I know bcuk is one big recourse, but going through 80.000 posts to find small tricks is just too much. You will undoubtly have more tricks to share than me, but i'll start of with a few.

Bring a wooly skull cap even in summer, nothing better to keep head warm IMO.

Don't wear cotton at least not in a layer close to the skin.

Wear several layers.

Don't position a shelter in a depression or valley.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Always set aside a log to sit on! For some reason it's always a lot more comfortable than the ground, and gives you a sense of homliness.

If you make a lean-to, don't hang stuff on the front of it, nomatter how sensible it seems; you will ALWAYS hit your head on it.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
1. Carry a pair of light leather gloves even in the summer. It will keep your hands cleaner and splinter free when doing wood work.

2. Don't take too much, it defeats all other methods to be comfortable.

3. Don't take too little, it is almost as bad as 2.

4. If all else is equal, take the lighter of the two items.

5. Even if you are a nylon hiker like me, it is nice to have something wool/leather to connect us with the old days. Comforts and focuses the mind.

6. Know where all your gear is in your packs, bags, and pockets.

7. Know who you are; does going solo or having a buddy along make you more comfortable?

8. Keep your gear simple. It will cause you less stress.

9. Be content to die today; it just might happen ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you do pitch on a moderate slope, ensure that your fire is off to the side, and not above or below your shelter on the slope. Due to the rise and fall of air on the slope during the day (anabatic and katabanic wind), the smoke will be drawn into your shelter, which will get very annoying very quickly!!

Don't ask me how I know......

Spamel

Ronin

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2004
Penzance, Cornwall
If you wear glasses, bring a spare pair or 2 (just like I didnt :eek: ). Nothing more antagonising to a disturbed grizzly than some pale faced camper with a terrible squint. :eek:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Bring a set of clothes only for sleeping in. Dry socks and shirt.

Bring some sweets.

Carry a small scarf for drying stuff, cleaning knives, emergency bandage, etc.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
If you are hiking in, make your feet priority #1. Good fitting, supportive and comfortable boots, socks that wick the sweat from your feet and a good foot powder go a long ways to keeping you on your feet and comfortable. I also carry a pair of camp shoes (mocs) for stalking around and camp comfort.

If you are traveling to and setting up camp in bear country, keeping a clean camp and hanging food items in a tree, well away from and downwind of camp is a good idea.

Keeping the latrine down wind and away from water sources will make your camp much more fun and your waste won't be leaching into the fresh water sources,

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
1. Take chocolate and sweeties with you, they can really cheer you up.
2. Take all the items you need to make a brew that'll cheer you up to.
3. Light your fire before it gets dark, makes it much easier.
4, Light a fire to drive the annoying midges away.
5. Make sure you have enough purified water before it gets dark for the evening, night and breaky.
6. Make some seating arrangements for the camp they make it much more comfortable for non bendy people like myself :rolleyes: .
7. Don't carry too much gear,
8. Do take enough gear.
9. Make sure you take the right gear :) .
10. And finally and most important, don't take a labrador with you the beggar will nick your sleeping bag on the cold nights :eek: .

All the best and stay comfy,

Tony

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
ScanDgrind said:
3. Light your fire before it gets dark, makes it much easier.
Oh yes and remember to collect enough firewood for the night.

ScanDgrind said:
10. And finally and most important, don't take a labrador with you the beggar will nick your sleeping bag on the cold nights
Lucky I have a border collie then :p

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Understand that what we perceive as discomfort in our termitarium cities are our senses coming alive. John Muir wrote about a night caught in a blizzard with a friend. They spent the night calling out to each other to stay awake under a few inadequate blankets. Yet Muir marvelled at the incredible beauty of the stars overhead periodically breaking through. I'm not advocating "Singing in the Rain" like Gene Kelly or deliberately going in Harm's Way. But I've met people who demand a wilderness experience in a manicured parkland with the thermostat set at 82.9 degrees, perrier flowing in the stream and sighting rare birds a lifelong birdwatcher hasn't added to their lifelist. My best trips seem to see me forgetting something critical, getting rained on, temporalilly misplaced and utterly indifferent to all the emotional 'stuff' back 'home' that amounts to 'diddly squat.' :D And TOILET PAPER. Don't forget a few feetof the stuff. More valuable than duct tape, paracord, fatwood or page 203 of the SAS survival guide :p

Mike J

Feb 24, 2005
Dorset
Always use hand protection when collecting bracken .Every time I think it wont happen to me,I'll be careful ,I'll remember to snap rather than pull and the gloves are way over there. :eek: Dammit wheres the plasters.
Oh and dont forget plasters. :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Carry what you're happy to... unless you're a bushcraft god... don't go away for the week in the wilderness with only a billy can and a knife. - If you're healthy and fit you can carry a well packed load very easily.

If you need to sacrifice space, don't do it with sleeping arrangements.

Go out as much as possible and be familiar with the feeling of being outside.

Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen and click "Start"... Select "Shut Down" and then select "Shut down" and click "OK" :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE