Combining other fabrics with Paramo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Hi there,
Paramo has some very nice waterproofs and other clothing which work as a system. With a wicking baselayer ect. On their website, for example, they say: "The Mountain Pull-on works ‘systemically’ with your Páramo jacket to become a powerful unit, which can be quickly adjusted to meet the rigours of terrain and weather."
This more or less raises the question/worries to me: will the system still work if I wear a regular (polartec) fleece between my baselayer and waterproof? Or do I have to buy all layers from Paramo for it to work optimal? I want one thick fleece to put over my baselayer and I don't know if their "next to skin baselayers" are what I am looking for. That's why.
thanks!

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
synthetic wicking layers from other manufacturers seem to work fine underneath my Velez Adventure light. Paramo isn't magic, it's basically a water resistant material held away from your skin by a thin wicking layer.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
It might sound stupid but what is exactly meant by wicking? Is a fleece wicking? Is wool wicking?
By the way: Nikwax Analogy Fleece, like mammal fur, repels water and actively pushes both liquid water and water vapour away from the body. Fleeces keep you warm by trapping still air between their fibres. Soak a conventional fleece in water and it loses up to 95% of its insulation. Nikwax Fleece offers superior comfort, especially in humid conditions. So it might do the job better then a regular fleece. Not sure.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You don't have to wear Paramo's mountain pull on for the waterproof jackets to work. I've worn mine with different combinations of mid layers.

Having worn fleeces for years, I can definitley say my Taiga is a bit warmer definiteley stays drier than a midweight single fleece.

I do find that the further away from the body the Nikwax analogy waterproof is worn, the longer it takes to dry out. It seems to need body heat for the pump liner to work..

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I went on a long wet backpack with a Mountain Pull-on under a Paramo Velez smock. Nightmare. Pull-on got soaked through with perspiration and stayed that way for the rest of the trip. I recon a normal fleece underneath is a better bet.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
I do find that the further away from the body the Nikwax analogy waterproof is worn, the longer it takes to dry out. It seems to need body heat for the pump liner to work..

I learned some things in this thread, thanks. So a fleece that's not extremely thick is probabably optimal. Good to know. Thanks guys

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
I find Merino wool base/mid layers work well under my Velez Smock, I find paramos Cambia(I think that's the name) base layers get quite smelly quickly. Could just be me of course!
I had a Paramo mountain pullover in black but was made to get rid of it, the wife wouldn't be seen anywhere near me wearing it! And it was too hot with the Smock on aswell.

David.

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
I find Merino wool base/mid layers work well under my Velez Smock, I find paramos Cambia(I think that's the name) base layers get quite smelly quickly. Could just be me of course!
I had a Paramo mountain pullover in black but was made to get rid of it, the wife wouldn't be seen anywhere near me wearing it! And it was too hot with the Smock on aswell.

David.

I like my merino wool baselayer too for the same reason, and others. So amazing, it keeps me from smelling for 8 day's in a row without washing ;). Tested amongst other people, lol. It takes longer for me to dry though. I like to sleep in it as well...

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
I wonder what happens when you dunk a fleece or fibre pile sweater in nikwax. It's also a microfibre fur like material.
btw.: that's what I do with my outdoor fleeces. I guess the less water gets between the fleece fibers the more air will remain traped between the fibers, the more breathable it is going to stay. I treat them the same as my waterproofs.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I like my merino wool baselayer too for the same reason, and others. So amazing, it keeps me from smelling for 8 day's in a row without washing ;). Tested amongst other people, lol. It takes longer for me to dry though. I like to sleep in it as well...

I also like Merino a lot, but it does tend to absorb sweat/water more than a synthetic top. For maximum breathability/dryness in strenuous activities I'd er towards a Coolmax base layer and a fleece under my Paramo Velez Adventure Light smock. Bimbling about with the family, I just wear whatever jumper (wool or otherwise) I have to hand.

Under a membrane jacket (far less breathable and condensation-forming) I'm more inclined to go for a Merino layer, although this may be 'wrong'.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE