Coltfoots rock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Excellent! Thanks for the prompt response Mike :)

I'm going to be a bit the poorer when I get back from there tomorrow - a surplus shop a few doors away from a sweet shop! What am I about to do? Already too late, I fear :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Quite a lot of health food shops (occasionally shoppes) sell colts foot rock. Worth a check of your local one before driving a longer distance ;)

Now that's mean - you're just trying to stop my ill-judged spending spree on stuff I don't need in a surplus shop! :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Managed to get over to Ross today, bought 200g of the rock; really nice taste, subtle and not too sweet and brought back memories. Walked from the sweety shop to Sainsbury's to take advantage of the Look What We Found offer, back to the car and thought I'd take a walk along the flat part of the Little Doward, which is right on the border as I make my way home with my loot :) Had about an hour stumping about up there very enjoyably and Molly loved it, got back in the car and drove the twenty five minutes back home. On arrival, one of my elderly neighbours greeted me at his back gate and asked how my day had been so far. I told him I'd found some Coltsfoot Rock and would he like a bit? "an 'ad a bit ov ik stuff since God wuz a boy" he says, with a delighted look on his face........Imagine my embarrasment when I reached into my pocket and found an empty bag.....I'd scoffed the lot and had a really sore mouth to boot :(

So now I have to drive over there again first thing tomorrow to get him some :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Managed to get over to Ross today, bought 200g of the rock; really nice taste, subtle and not too sweet and brought back memories. Walked from the sweety shop to Sainsbury's to take advantage of the Look What We Found offer, back to the car and thought I'd take a walk along the flat part of the Little Doward, which is right on the border as I make my way home with my loot :) Had about an hour stumping about up there very enjoyably and Molly loved it, got back in the car and drove the twenty five minutes back home. On arrival, one of my elderly neighbours greeted me at his back gate and asked how my day had been so far. I told him I'd found some Coltsfoot Rock and would he like a bit? "an 'ad a bit ov ik stuff since God wuz a boy" he says, with a delighted look on his face........Imagine my embarrasment when I reached into my pocket and found an empty bag.....I'd scoffed the lot and had a really sore mouth to boot :(

So now I have to drive over there again first thing tomorrow to get him some :)

:lmao: Nice one. I drove through Ross today too, but didn't stop. I assumed the sweet shop would be closed.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Always prefered savoury to sweet but some things did slip through.
Pontifract cakes (which had an averse effect when I overdosed once :rolleyes:), Hawick balls, clove rock, Edinburgh rock, chewing tobbaco (the coconut stuff Red), japs, oddfellows, horehound and the candied angellica my Granny used to make.
Toddy had some lucky tatties a few weeks back - braw, the shop also sold violet creams and violet rock :D

Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but violet creams were a pleasure….so were parma violets until they started putting gelatine in them.

There's a shelf in one of the wee glass cupboards in the kitchen dresser that has small sweetie jars on it. I like a sweetie, but they come in quarter pounds or huge great bags these days, so they get decanted into the jars, and it's like a mini sweet shop for choosing a sweetie from. Thankfully Himself does have a sweet tooth, so I get variety and he gets volume, and happily helps finish mine too, iimmc :)

Just now I have love hearts, mint imperials and Ricola sugar free.
Himself has….salmiakki liquorice, cough candy, fisherman's friends, smarties, non-veggie mints, chocolate raisins, cola bottles, sugar almonds, marshmallows, Summer fruits and fruit gums.
Mine will see me through to the end of Summer…..his will be gone just in time for the glut of Easter chocolate :D (I still have some of those wee Lindt chocolate teddy bears from Christmas to finish, but Son2 has thankfully polished off the rest of the Christmas chocolate)
I'd be on an enormous sugar rush if I even attempted to eat that much sweet stuff, and I get a present instead of more sweet and chocolate at Easter.

I used to make a lot of sweeties, that way I knew what went into them and that the dreaded Enumber colourings (son2 was allergic) weren't included.

Himself's tablet recipe is on the forum; British Red ? how about we devise our own version of Kendall Mint Cake ? something that's actually tasty but could be dissolved in a mug of hot water to make a good hot drink ? Chocolate, coffee, sugar, mint, kind of thing.

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red ? how about we devise our own version of Kendall Mint Cake ? something that's actually tasty but could be dissolved in a mug of hot water to make a good hot drink ? Chocolate, coffee, sugar, mint, kind of thing.

atb,
M

Only if we make the peppermint extract from scratch :)

The vanilla worked really well - much better than shop bought!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I have felt dreadfull since the middle of last evening; that was as much sugar as I would normally eat in months and I've felt poisoned since then, which I suppose is what I've been.

But I really enjoyed the doing of it :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, too much sugar and I feel kind of squick too :sigh: Get well soon :)

BR…Okay, we can do that :D coffee and chocolate though ??? we can find substitutes, maybe ?

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

BR…Okay, we can do that :D coffee and chocolate though ??? we can find substitutes, maybe ?

M

We don't need them for the mint cake :). We've already done sugar making so that's a tick....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

M

Something like horehound mint cake would be nice and be a good drink especially for sore throats.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE