Coltfoots rock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I discovered a taste for Coltfoots Rock when I first visited the Lake District and got some from a sweet shop. However over the years I have found it hard to find especially in the east. However at last a traditional sweet shop in a market town has got some for me.

Does anyone else like this stuff?
Or what's your fav sweet.

f1daf5e750be3c7383871a9771319c0a.jpg

Coltfoots Rock is flavoured from this plant, but what else is it good for

1bc8e4ff1845281cd840b0487629d1d0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Haven't had that stuff for forty years...but can still taste it

Half a century and more ago there used to be a boiled sweet that had various fruit flavours with a liquid centre. It came in a paper wrapper with a picture of the relevant fruit on it. When I was a small lad my grandfather would hide them under my pillow so that I could have a sweet in the night :D. I wish I knew what they were called and if they were still made!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Haven't had that stuff for forty years...but can still taste it

Half a century and more ago there used to be a boiled sweet that had various fruit flavours with a liquid centre. It came in a paper wrapper with a picture of the relevant fruit on it. When I was a small lad my grandfather would hide them under my pillow so that I could have a sweet in the night :D. I wish I knew what they were called and if they were still made!

''Fruit Bonbons'' perhaps ? they came in a white wrapper with a picture of fruit on them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I love the stuff! I'm all for aniseed and similar flavours and this hits the spot :)

Aniseed balls make good catapult ammo when practicing :D so do mint imperials, they smash leaving a white dust that lets you see where you hit……and what the rain doesn't wash away confuses the neighbourhood dogs :D

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
''Fruit Bonbons'' perhaps ? they came in a white wrapper with a picture of fruit on them.

That's them! Looks like they have changed the wrapper now. Thanks guys. The old man is long dust now but the thought of those sweets takes me back (must be something in my eye)

That's them! Looks like they have changed the wrapper now. Thanks guys. The old man is long dust now but the thought of those sweets takes me back (must be something in my eye)

Strange spearmint chews and sherbert lemons have same effect on my eyes.....

Aniseed twists, army and navy, rhubarb and custard and the above two are my firmest favourites. when doing a course if food is permitted i always take a bag of an assortment of them with me

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do you remember old fashioned "cough candy" Sam? It was flavoured with horehound. I grow the herb now for the smell :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Huge great pan drops do that to my eyes too. Big as an old penny and given to children by elderly relations to sook in Kirk to keep us quiet :eek: If you sucked one and didn't crunch it, then it lasted a whole sermon long :D
I miss my Aunts and Uncles.

Did you get lucky tatties ? a lump of white sugary not quite toffee that was dusted with cinnamon powder. Smelled great, tasted fine, and made a mess of every child who got one :rolleyes: used to have a very small, truly bad, toy pressed into the stuff too. Total H&S nightmare.
http://www.moffattoffeeshop.com/dee_valley_lucky_tatties_large.htm

M

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm all for coltsfoot rock. Wonderful stuff. I have been known to drive to Ross on Wye to acquire some, which is a considerable trip for me. It can also be found online.

As an aside, here's a health and safety warning though. Some utter fools have been known to cut themselved on it when snapping it into more practically-sized pieces :rolleyes::eek::stretcher:
15182549515_b7f7b20da5_b.jpg

The edges on boiled sweets are sharp!

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Yes yes yes to Coltsfoot rock, fruit bonbons and cough candy.
I recall Terrys Neopolitains that my gramps gave me........
and 1776 chocolates, mmmm.
barley sugar twist anyone ?
Old Jamaica chewing tobacco ?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm really intrigued to try the coltsfoot rock, and Ross-on-Wye is not very far from me; although not having a sweet tooth I don't know the sweet shops there. Whereby is that, Mike?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE