cold weather smock choice question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Hi All,

I want to buy a warm smock/jacket. I have done a bit of searching about and I think it comes down to a few choices.

Snugpak sleeka
Snugpak pile shirt
Montane smock
Buffalo shirt

I know a few people on here probably have one or all of the above so I have a few questions for you.

What size do these pack down to.
How durable are they in the woods, brambles etc.
Are they quiet
If you already have one would you buy another if you lost it or whatever.
Sparks????

I know that some of these are designed as a one stop layering system but I would imagine that I would be wearing some layers underneath depending on conditions. Would that be a problem ?

I would be using the smock for general pottering about the woods but I would be stationary for long periods early in the mornings and obviously late at night around a fire. Bearing in mind that it can be cold and wet and warm etc all in the space of a few hours in this country, am I on the right track with these smocks.

I'm sorry for all the questions its just that we dont have any suppliers in my area and I cannot get to see them in the flesh so your help would be appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance

Andrew

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ve had the Buffalo Spec 6 shirt for ages now and it`s my number one cold weather top. It`s never let me down since the day I got it although I wouldn`t recommend being near a fire in it, in fact all the ones you`ve listed wouldn`t stand up to any flying sparks.

They are all great for keeping you warm but I`d look at something like cotton, ventile or wool for fireside shenanigans. You could get a cheap issue cotton smock to put on over the top.

As for pack size, I just fold mine up to about the size of a shoe box, it would go down smaller in a stuff sack though.

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
My two penneth about the Buffalo (only one I have experience of)....

I bought mine in about 1996 and it's still going strong. I wear it almost every 'cold' day and it is superb - I can't rant enough about it. It is well vented which allows you to unzip instead of removing it. It's stood up very well to my abuse - mine's got a few holes from welding spatter and it ripped when I caught it on a very spiky brick gatepost, but it sewed very nicely. It's not massively warm as a stationary layer - I use a RAB down jacket for really cold evenings - but it's certainly great as an active 'out and about' garment.

Big question - would I buy another? Definitely.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Thanks guys.

Shewie, I had a fair idea that they would not stand up to sparks very well but wanted to hear from users. I could get some sort of cheap cotton smock to pull over it around fires etc. as you say.

Andrew

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
I've also got a 10 year+ buffalo, has been great. The UV has finally killed the pertex, so is tearing a bit now and the pile inner is not as fluffy as once was. Pack size, about 3grapefruit if you are careful. I've also had an arktis buffalo clone which was a bit bulkier. Anything with the pertex outer is a real liability anywhere near a spark. I've tried the montagnes and found them long in the arm for a given chest size. Quiet wise, not silent but not bad either. Warmth, not in a league with a duvet jacket but certainly toasty for most things.
Have you looked at the paramo smocks? I'm very tempted when it comes round to retiring the buffalo.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Thanks treemonk,

I have looked at paramo but it is a bit pricey for me at the moment. I wont discount it though if the other options are not exactly what I need.

Andrew

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
I've also used a Buffalo Mountain shirt for the last 5 years, from shooting,sailing and nights out, I love 'em , however very combustable, if its realy cold i where it under a barbour or issue smock, they are betting worn next to the skin or with a merino base layer.
Very well made !

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I to have a buffalo spec 6, from the mid 90's. The pertex is now ripped in about half a dozen places, and was usualy repaired with glue. The lining has worn almost transparent in places. It is usualy worn daily from october to april, but this winter is taking 2nd place to my new drizabone.

Yes i will buy another when i get round to it, they are worth it.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I too have a buffalo sp6 had it about 12 yrs,from when the badge was a buffalo not the word, great for keeping you warm even when its soaked through, you cant get much under them though,as they are meant to be worn next to skin, again agree wear something over it next to a fire,didnt get a mark on mine all the times ive been out and about ,then i was bringing in coal,(for the house)and went to light the fire and a bit of match flew off when i struck it, and went straight through my buffalo,luckily its only a couple of mm.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm on my 2nd buffalo mountain shirt. wore the first one out in a mere 12 years :eek:
I've also got a sleeka jacket and love it. I keep it in the boot of my car in winter as an emergency thermal layer.
None of the jackets you list will stand up to serious bramble or spark abuse, but for cold damp weather they're brilliant.
Add a loose cotton smock over the top (such as a swedish snow smock) if you're sitting around the fire/struggling through brambles.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Forgot to mention that i also have a similar smock to the buffalo, made by solo. The outer on this is rip stop and its lined with fleece as apposed to fibre pile.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Thanks guys for all of your replies. The buffalo seems very popular and long living. I just need to get an outer layer to cover up from sparks by the looks of it.

Thanks again

Andrew

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've got both and prefer the Snugpak Sleeka. Had it for years and wore it through a number of Falklands winters. Cannot fault the Buffalo's but they are designed to be worn close to the skin and therefore you cannot layer underneath too much. This means that, if it gets too warm, your down to your t-shirt which could be too cold.

I use the Snugpack under a ventile smock or a Barbour, then layer underneath that; covers all bases.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Nobody has really mentioned the Montane much, any particular reason? I was looking at that one as my first option as it seemed to sit somewhere between the Buffalo and the Snugpak in terms of price and durability.

Gailainne

Life Member
Nobody has really mentioned the Montane much, any particular reason? I was looking at that one as my first option as it seemed to sit somewhere between the Buffalo and the Snugpak in terms of price and durability.

I have one but its not had a real baptism yet, mate at work who does rope access on our chimneys, tanks etc swears by his, his company buy them for all their guys, one of the reasons I got mine.

Stephen

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Montane smock is great,thicker scuff resistant areas on elbows and shoulders, great hood in with the price of about £80 which is cheaper than the buffalo.
I replaced my old buffalow spec.6 shirt with one and think it has the edge.
Regards.
C da C.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
I bought one of these recently http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....;3DDR&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4
I climbed up Schiehallion (a munro in Scotland) yesterday when the wind was blowing with sub zero temperatures to boot. I only had on a thin thermal vest underneath and I was toasty all the way. Seemed to do well with breathability too as i worked up a fair sweat in it. I noticed a bit of moisture inside when removing it after the climb but I never felt cold once. Appears to be very well made and costs only £29.99 with £4.99 postage, a bargain if you ask me.
I should add that I've no conection at all to the seller, just a happy customer.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
Thanks to all who offered advice on this. Between my own research and your input I reckon that the montane/buffalo/snugpak is not what I am looking for specifically for the woods. I run hot and I would prefer not to be down to a t-shirt/baselayer if I overheated. I might get one for work though if santa comes !!

I think that the layering approach will suit me better. I already use a wool baselayer and an old wool army shirt. I am waiting to see the new version of the Bison guide shirt in the new year. I have ordered an Endicotts smock ( I cant afford ventile at the moment) that I will nikwax to keep most of the sparks, wind and rain off. These will be my walking layers. I have bought a swedish army parka cheap in my local surplus place that will do for when I stop and for colder nights out by the fire. The parka wont pack down like the snugpak but I have compressed it down to a reasonable size so it would fit in my 25l ruck with room for my other bits and bobs for a day out. It folds into its hood so I can use it as a pillow on overnights and it will be warm enough for the pre dawn sitspot. Not bad for 30 euros. I always carry lightweight goretex leggings so a poncho should finish off this layering system nicely I reckon.

I have not discounted your advice about different jackets just yet but the parka was so cheap I couldnt leave it behind me. Its worth a try.

Thanks again for the advice and heads up though

Andrew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE