cold today...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hailstorms yesterday, came as a bit of a shock after all the mild weather.
Son1's off to Accra to work for a week at some conference….the temperature there today, I jest you not, and it was raining, was 73degC

Jamie's going to melt :rolleyes:

M

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Aye I've had to put long trousers on up here! Chucking it down now too. Perfect camping weather though, puts the fairweathers off :D

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Aye I've had to put long trousers on up here! Chucking it down now too. Perfect camping weather though, puts the fairweathers off :D

So true. Although finding / gathering wood in this weather sucks. Once your hunkered down and a fire is going strong it's okay. Until then it's a bit grim.

Did a tarp camp in this weather last year, dog decided to wake up and go a walk through the guy lines at 4am in the rain.

Never again. That was a rude awakening.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
So true. Although finding / gathering wood in this weather sucks. Once your hunkered down and a fire is going strong it's okay. Until then it's a bit grim.

Did a tarp camp in this weather last year, dog decided to wake up and go a walk through the guy lines at 4am in the rain.

Never again. That was a rude awakening.

Aye can be a challenge that, I find in this weather using oily or resinous woods work quite well though. Particularly line.

In that situation I would return with no dog and a new and interestingly shaped hat in afraid :lmao:

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
yeah! lots of wind and rain and 11 degrees here!
Got my Swanndri Ranger and Martti's woolen trousers, super nice comfort! Also nobody was in the forest so also nice :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do not know what you are all whinging about - plenty warm in my kitchen where I have been fitting and oiling new shelving, oiling some Cawl spoons ... I would not want to go out in this wind and rain though!

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Nothing like a cold wet windy day to make you think B@%^$r this for a game of soldiers.... MOD issue lightweight camp only MTP which is no use in Scotland. The thicker jacket has the decency to be longer.. Mr softy is on till April.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Something that has wound me up today is how soft people are when it comes to wet weather.... fully appreciate that people don't like to get sopping wet, but I went to the shops today for a few bits and bats and people were genuinely sheltering from a bit of rain because they didn't want to get wet between the shop and their car.... we're talking less that 100 yards... you're going to get 'splashed' in 100 yards, not wet wet.

Other thing I noticed was people dodging around puddles... I can only presume they were wearing woolen shoes!

Bright side, the streets are again empty in my village... means I can have a peaceful wander around :)

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Something that has wound me up today is how soft people are when it comes to wet weather.... fully appreciate that people don't like to get sopping wet, but I went to the shops today for a few bits and bats and people were genuinely sheltering from a bit of rain because they didn't want to get wet between the shop and their car.... we're talking less that 100 yards... you're going to get 'splashed' in 100 yards, not wet wet.

Other thing I noticed was people dodging around puddles... I can only presume they were wearing woolen shoes!

Bright side, the streets are again empty in my village... means I can have a peaceful wander around :)

That depends on the rain dewi! Not long ago we had some 'orrible weather down here in the algarve, google "albufeira floods 2015" and see what the piccies/videos are like! Ten metres and you'd be soaked! And as for shoes... there's some shoes with mesh top or ventilation things... ask me how I know they're not waterproof!:rolleyes:
Mind, I've been out in "rain" (sans waterproofs) that when I came in seemed to have avoided me!

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Nothing like a cold wet windy day to make you think B@%^$r this for a game of soldiers.... MOD issue lightweight camp only MTP which is no use in Scotland. The thicker jacket has the decency to be longer.. Mr softy is on till April.

Oh now you're talking! I loved days like that. Before I was married I would grab my kit and be gone. Nothing like sitting under a tarp with the rain pattering on it holding a steaming hot cuppa watching the fire. Now sadly I see many days like that but can't just grab and go. Now I have to settle for the patio umbrella and a cuppa from the kitchen, a passable alternative but not the same.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rain's not so much a bother, but wind and rain is a bit of a annoyance. The rain turned to hail here yesterday, and it's sore being out in that.

My leather shoes aren't waterproof; they are showerproof, but they do get sodden, and then it's a couple of days to dry them out safely. So yes, I avoid trudging through puddles. Most folks don't go out shopping wearing wellies; besides, they're a beggar to drive in.
Different if I'm wearing boots though :)

As an aside, I bought cheap waterproof, and supposedly they're breathable too, trousers for £5.49 from this fellow on ebay.
Came within two days and they fit well and they seem sound :D At this price it's no great expense to leave a pair in the car, just in case of need.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blackrock...thable-/130760231112?var=&hash=item64238bb4d4

M

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Oh now you're talking! I loved days like that. Before I was married I would grab my kit and be gone. Nothing like sitting under a tarp with the rain pattering on it holding a steaming hot cuppa watching the fire. Now sadly I see many days like that but can't just grab and go. Now I have to settle for the patio umbrella and a cuppa from the kitchen, a passable alternative but not the same.

Ciggy and a brew under a tree in the garden is the best I get.... just did that and its better than watching the drivel that is on the telly :)

Always been jealous of those films where you see the American houses with the big porches at the front... can just imagine sitting in a nice rocking chair having a smoke, drinking my brew and watching the world go by.... I think I might have just envisaged my perfect retirement plan!

just -1C here now and slight snow.

And that's an incredible improvement on when it was the same at the START of September in Alberta.

Ciggy and a brew under a tree in the garden is the best I get.... just did that and its better than watching the drivel that is on the telly :)

Always been jealous of those films where you see the American houses with the big porches at the front... can just imagine sitting in a nice rocking chair having a smoke, drinking my brew and watching the world go by.... I think I might have just envisaged my perfect retirement plan!

I'm one of those evil smokers. So anyway I went to Alberta in the hot August summer and then got trapped there without my winter gear. Luckily well under $20:00 at the thrift store fixed that.

Yep I'm retired and sitting on the porch with a brew and smoking is as good as anyone could want. Well except for morning and watching the sun come up, at -20C with a coffee in an insulated cup while having the first cigarette and a good book..

Well babysitting great grand-kids early having had no caffeine and nicotine is good too. Yep getting an early call and so just one ciggie on the way is OK.

I shall always remember the true story about the NFB film on the Nahhani. They’d asked Dick Turner who was the best of the best and so he told them Albert. Anyway they arrived in Fort Simpson and met with Albert and he told them that he was part time jailer and part time babysitter, of which he was both and highly successful. I guess it didn't take long in the boat to see a different side. All the babysitting stuff is cut.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Definitely chillier now, the snow on the hill that arrived thurs/fri has gone. Odd skien's of geese still flying over and the trees are well and truly bare. Nice day yesterday, I spent the afternoon planting some beech saplings before settling down in front of the wood burner :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE