Coil Stove, as promissed...:)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I can see why the fill hole is where it is on that particular can - a flat sealing surface.

One idea to try before bending/forming the pipe is to fill the pipe with water and freeze it, bunging one end and keeping the other open to prevent splitting. The ice will prevent the walls from collapsing when you try to form it. It might work :dunno:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You can also fill with salt to prevent crushing - easy to dissolve out if it gets stuck

Fair point about the nut position

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Fold up Taykit

100_1855.jpg

100_1858.jpg

100_1857.jpg

100_1862.jpg

You may have trouble running on paraffin, most coil burners run on petrol. The professionally made ones frighten me to be honest so even burning meths take extreme care and don't trust it mate...there are zero safety features on them, commercial or home made.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
This is the same concept as the Borde, right?

Very nice piece of work, but lack of safety features would worry me:)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
This is the same concept as the Borde, right?
Not quite,
the Borde Bombe is an open to atmosphere burner, the coil stove works by conducted heat vaporising the fuel inside a near-sealed chamber - forcing it along the hollow coil where it vents to atmosphere, causing a high pressure jet - which in turn heats the material of the coil.

I'm on the brink of making one myself - even if it ends up as a demonstration/warning piece.

ATB

Ogri the trog
ATB

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff Chris, I've been toying with making one myself for a while now.

Look forward to seeing it in action

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Has that lab coat got straps on the arms? :)

Richard is right about these things, they have no safety features except perhaps blowing the fuel container to pieces to relieve any excess pressure. If the thing is held together with epoxy or some other polymer-type glue and the glue melts from the heat conducted to it from the coil, then you could easily find flames coming out from places you didn't previously know you had.

Caution is advised.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
The JB weld must be cured by now?:) Are you gonna do a vid of the burn Chris?

Good stuff, just hope it burns well, when Tinny made his I believe it took some fiddling with the jet size to get it burning well?

I have used very dry sand in the pipe when bending and it does a good job.

Steve.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
BLIMEY!!!!

questions questions....

ok the nut is as said placed where it is to use the flat area, it does come clear with no problems though, its just a bit trickey...

the nut you see is actuly the bolt, the nut is JB welded Glued to the underside of the tin...

im not worried about it blowing up, the glue is sound and the stuff on the bottom which holds the cans together should stay cool due to the meths inside, if the JB weld melts on top it will just release the pressure which is not that much anyway...

well, i got home early today for the first time in about 2 months, i checked the glue was cured propperly and grabed the meths (not for drinking this time, i had no coke :rolleyes: )... filled her up and poured some meths around the can rim, and she was away... i know you have to get the draw right on the wick which you use, my draw was wrong, thinking it was to tight i made the jet hole a little bigger, this was a big mistake as its now burning like a big candle, what i might do is put a rubber seal around the nut as im sure that was leaking too, that would mean less pressure so could be that..

im not giving up with this though, this is number 1, so will test and redo when i have time for number 2, back to the flat pack wood stove then...:)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Mate!! i,ve had close up personal experience of one of Chris's ,...erm....."pyrotecnic incidents"

his invite of,... "its my birthday, come round for a beer!" led me to believe a glass or two in a civlised enviroment,....

the ACTUAL experience was WAAAAY different,....

long story short,...i have shrapnel in my left buttock (not an exageration)

hahaha whens the next BBQ buddy??

sorry to drag you thread sideways,...but youve obviously had the white labcoat on again ,..i,m keeping well away from this one!

Stu,..

well Stu, it must have effected you deepley as you have only just started talking to me again...;)

as for things blowing up thats another story...:rolleyes:

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
I'm with Ged and Rik - take care! One of my worries is that the copper pipe is going to get *hot* - seriously so. Do you reckon that the JB weld is up to the job given how hot it's going to get? I've no idea myself, but it's worth thinking about.

Oh... and light it outdoors the first time!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I'm with Ged and Rik - take care! One of my worries is that the copper pipe is going to get *hot* - seriously so. Do you reckon that the JB weld is up to the job given how hot it's going to get? I've no idea myself, but it's worth thinking about.

Oh... and light it outdoors the first time!

it was out side mate, i may be a bit bonkers but im not stupid...:rolleyes: the pipe at that area does not seem to get that hot, its all at the top where the loop is...

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Not quite,
the Borde Bombe is an open to atmosphere burner, the coil stove works by conducted heat vaporising the fuel inside a near-sealed chamber - forcing it along the hollow coil where it vents to atmosphere, causing a high pressure jet - which in turn heats the material of the coil.

I'm on the brink of making one myself - even if it ends up as a demonstration/warning piece.

ATB

Ogri the trog
ATB

How is the borde different to Riks Taykit my Handy camper or the Meths's coil burner???

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Looking good . As to bending the coil, one way is to freeze water in the pipe and then slowly bend the pipe around something . Just one way .

Topknot

FelixAvery

Oct 17, 2011
Scotland
nice job building it, i used one of these to cook all my meals and tea for 2 months when i was in india and it was SO temperamental and scary, but had a similar (just bigger) design to yours, the only thing that was different was an air piston, so you can adjust the pressure and a valve to let the pressure off, maybe a bit small to fit all of that on your build though. http://trade.indiamart.com/details.mp?offer=1755190862 here is the exact thing i was using just a ten years old one i got from some guy in varanasi. Maybe it will give you some ideas on how you can improve the way its burning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE