1st go with pvc pipe and heat gun

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Bought a very cheap knife to use with a fire steel, came with a cardboard sleeve! So I picked up some pvc pipe and a heat gun.
White is 1st go, black is 2nd go.
heat gun 1st go.jpg
The white was £1.20 for 3 metres and the black less then a fiver, again 3 metre length.
I only had a small set of tongs to hold it and a scrap of leather to protect my hands when flattening the white one. Oh and a hacksaw to cut it.

I used a clamp with the 2nd black one, hence the funny marks near where the blade ends.
Both give a very satisfying "Click" as the knife locks in. As they are made from pipe, no need for rivets the close the sides.
AND it was fun to do.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Hi Tony, The white one was maybe 5 mins to soften. The black is much thick walled and so was way longer. Add the fact I was doing it outside so losing loads of heat. Worst part was just being impatient and not letting the black one heat up properly. 5 goes at 6 mins a go when I should have just waited and done it once at maybe 10 mins !! It is far from flat but as I said it does grip tight so is safe.
I have found a little oven for 20 quid on ebay .... no stopping me now.

Reactions: Droidy and Tony

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Hi Dave, not received oven yet so no comment yet. For the belt loop I drilled 6 holes in the pvc where the bolster would be and sewed on some inner tube. (Found tube before webbing!!!). The hole near the tip is for an s hook or binner for use in camp, like I said it locks tight so can be stored upside down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Budd

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Very nice! I have tried this before and never been satisfied but I think I must have just been impatient, these look great.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Despite the ebay seller disappearing.... Qty one oven turned up today!!!
dropped off at the wrong house mind despite having a perfectly good and correct address label. So for your delight see attempts 3 and 4
3rd and 4th.jpg
The oven softens the pvc so much easier than a heat gun, so much easier. Just a case of playing with the Temp and Time now.
Due to the shape of the Mora handle, these are snug fit not "click" fit.

P.S. Thanks for your growl, Dave.

Reactions: MrEd and TeeDee

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Ah the joys of ebay and couriers! At least it turned up in the end :D Glad the growl helped too

I found the oven better for the flattening and general shaping too. The industrial hair dryer is good for belt loops and fine tuning the fit and shaping, espesically if you have a fine nozzle for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE