Coil Stove, as promissed...:)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Well, i have been toying with making a coil stove for some time, i went on the evil bay and got some 6mm anealed copper pipe, and some JB weld quick set heat resistant resin.

i knew what i wanted to make, a meths stove that boils fast, with little or no pre heating needed as with coke can type stove..

this is for walking days when i just want hot water fast for brews, and dehydraited meals.

i have not started her up yet as the glue is still cureing... all i need to do is make a wind shield from a "BIG" bean tin and jobs a fish...

the whole thing is made from the copper pipe, a nut and bolt which formes the filling hole, so it can be sealed after filling, and 2 tuna tins pressed together then glued, the pipe is a bit iffey as i dont have a pipe bending tool, bit of glue and your away...:)

hope you like it anyway.

comments welcome as always....:)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the bottom of the coil has a jet hole in it, you light that hole which heats the copper pipe, that causes pressure which can only come from the hole so forms a constant loop, bit like an oil drum charcoal kiln...:)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
yep, single jet, you can see the very small hole in pic 2, its very high pressure and burns like a blow torch, the glue is still curing but will try and post pic's 2moz...:)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
interesting looking stove lanny, maybe keep a bit of a distance the first time you light this one up!

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
interesting looking stove lanny, maybe keep a bit of a distance the first time you light this one up!

Mate!! i,ve had close up personal experience of one of Chris's ,...erm....."pyrotecnic incidents"

his invite of,... "its my birthday, come round for a beer!" led me to believe a glass or two in a civlised enviroment,....

the ACTUAL experience was WAAAAY different,....

long story short,...i have shrapnel in my left buttock (not an exageration)

hahaha whens the next BBQ buddy??

sorry to drag you thread sideways,...but youve obviously had the white labcoat on again ,..i,m keeping well away from this one!

Stu,..

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
looks like a very nice stove, I seen similar made with a jar befor, I have also read somewhere "if you put a wick inside the pipe it will improve its burn time and make it hotter" im
not sure how true this is as i have never done it, good job mate :)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
P1010096.jpg

P1010095.jpg

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's very nice but the filling point looks slightly obscured by the coil - making it further from the centre would make things easier, wouldn't it?

How is the nut attached - rivnut?

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
interesting - how do you put it out once it is lit - in the video it seems to just stop for no apparent reason.

The flame is impressive but what is the advantage of this design - does it boil quicker on less fuel (for example)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE