Coffee recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
I use Lidls ground coffee every day at home when in the field I have used Mors bush coffee method and it works very well ,

When I grew up there was no fancy coffee making equipment in the house, just a pot. The water was boiled, then the coffee was added. Some of my friends did like Mors, and there were countless discussions on what was the best method.

I still do it like my parents taught me, but now is the time to try "the other way". Differences will be noted and reported back.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Guatemalan Elephant, though, which is expensive & difficult to grind. You can get it at Whittards.

Agreed ~ though I didn't find grinding it difficult. Whittards Mocha Djima is also very good :approve: . Apparently getting the roast right on MD is difficult, so much so that my current dealer* will only sell it as a green bean.

* Caffeine's a drug ... So I guess suppliers and dealers are apt terms ;)

I use an Aeropress at home now, .

Same here. And unless space is an absolute premium I also take it away with me.

If you take your coffee with sugar then give Jaggery Goor (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/jaggery) a try ;) .

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I usually use a lexan french press from GSI. I french press at home too, and decide whether to use store bought grounds, or grind from fresh myself on occasion.
Then again, I have several mocca-thingies that get occasional use.
I recommend grinding your own if you want top class coffee. And don't skimp on the beans. Most days though, "top class" is less important than "right now" in my experience.
Tried the "brewers cup" out the other day. That was really nice. Could become my coffee of choice for shorter 1-day trips.

BigX

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2014
England
I gave up coffee for Lent (was trying to show the nipper that you had to give up something you'd REALLY miss), so this thread is killing me.

Only ten days to go...

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
The way to go to find your favourite coffees is of course to try a lot. In my case what I like varies. When I'm buying wine, I try to get something I haven't tasted before. Sometimes it's not so good, but overall it's a great method - recommended.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
The way to go to find your favourite coffees is of course to try a lot. In my case what I like varies. When I'm buying wine, I try to get something I haven't tasted before. Sometimes it's not so good, but overall it's a great method - recommended.

I met a bloke on the train some years ago and we got chatting about wine (it was around the time I was doing the Wine and Spirits Board course and exam). His method for choosing wine was how deep the dimple was in the bottom of the bottle. His train of thought was that in all the posh restaurants, the wine waiter always stuck his thumb in the bottom of the bottle so he could pour with one hand. He said it had never failed him, go figure!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE