Coffee recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
What Coffee does the collective here like? I have tried a couple of brands recently and not been too impressed so it ends up a waste of money!

I like strong coffee, something like the Starbucks Via micro ground stuff.

Are whole beans worth it, would have to invest in a grinder if so?

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
I love tschibo coffee which you can only really get in Germany, or some Polish shops over here do it too (they do it in the one in Bicester). If I have 'English' coffee, I'll go for something like Taylor's of Harrogate or douwe egberts, which most supermarkets do. My absolute favourite is Kona coffee. Luckily I can get that in a coffe and tea shop in Oxford.

Unfortunately after 7 years in Germany I am a bit of a coffee snob and only really ever now drink filtered coffee.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
To my mind (well, taste buds) beans are far better than buying supermarket ground. For trips away I grind what I'll need and stick it in a lock & lock tub.

As to which you'll like ... that's part of your journey ;) As is your preferred brewing method and how you take it :D

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I like to make up my own individual 3 in 1 sachets so I can dunk the whole lot in the mug and add water. I'm finding with instant coffee I need 4 tsp coffee, 2 tsp Creamer and 3 tsp sugar or Stevia for a whole crusader mug!

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I drink old brown java which I buy freshly ground from coffee-direct.com (no affiliation, just a very happy customer for the last 4 years), it's a good strong dark roast but not as acidic as most other strong coffees. I have been using an aeropress since xmas 2013 and am very pleased with it as a system.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like a good dark roast. Preferably a Columbian or an Arabica bean. What particular brand is something I doubt would be available there but for me it's any of the following:
-Foldgers (Black Silk Roast) only comes pre-ground
-8 O'clock (also the dark roast) comes pre-ground or whole bean
-New Orleans Blend (yes, that's a brand name) dark roast with chicory (only comes pre-ground)
-Winn Dixie's store brand (pre-ground with chicory)

The "micro grind" is only helpful in certain types of coffee brewers/makers. Each different type needs a different grind but the "all purpose" grind will work in most. Basic rule of thumb is courser grind for percolators and finer grind for drip coffee makers.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Pico duerte from the Dominican Republic is great - very strong. My absolute favourite is Guatemalan Elephant, though, which is expensive & difficult to grind. You can get it at Whittards.

I use an Aeropress at home now, despite having an expensive espresso machine but I make do with Via/Millicano/Azeera when camping.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Although I like filter coffee I can't be done with the rigmarole of grinding my own beans. I either go to the local independent coffee shop and buy their stuff that they grind for me or I just go into Asda and buy some Taylor's stuff.

I never drink instant coffee though, haven't for knocking on 20 years now and I would rather have a cup of tea than an instant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE