Coal fueled hobo stove

Flecktarnbiker

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2013
Hampshire
Hello there
i have just designed a coal burning hobo stove in a tin can for when im fishing. Its stoll on paper but basicalyy its a tin can with a firebox door for putting coal in and holes around the top for chimmneys. A modified tin mug sits on tent peg supports so water can be boiled in it. The mug has a ring at the top and bottom so it can be picked up hooks when its hot and the fire is started by a small amout of greenheat gel then coal fed.
does anybody think this is a good idea or should i give up already?
thanks
fleck

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Go for it! Might be smelly on coal, mind and heavy fuel to cart about but will be interested to see the outcome

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
One of the ideas behind hobo stoves is that you can forage the fuel necessary to run them in the area where you are. However, because they use small fuel (both size and quantity) their ability to hold heat for extended periods - as larger stoves can do - is compromised. So. if you want to stove to be able to cook meals that take longer than just boiling water or to warm an area like a fishing brolly, you need to make a bigger stove or use a longer lasting fuel.

I have been known to carry a bag of anthracite for my lavvu stove in cold weather, so I reckon you are on to a good thing, got any photo's?

ATB

Ogri the trog

Flecktarnbiker

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2013
Hampshire
Yeah i know it might be heavy but i desgned it on paper to fit together and have its own little shovel to put coal in with! Anyway i love the smell of coal. Fuel i can get easilt because down the road is a coal merchants and they lups of coal bigger than your fist for £1 each so i could just break the coal into smaller pieces.

Flecktarnbiker

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2013
Hampshire
I will get a computer drawn pic up soon that i made on paint and the stove would be for boiling water or maybe heating up an MRE (Meals rejected by everyone!).

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Interesting. How big is it?

Do you mean tin can as in food cans? they won't last long buring coal in.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
£1 for a lump? I'd go to a different coal merchant. Ours do 25kg bags for £8. I suppose it depends on the size of your fists - if you're Popeye its good value!!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Wonder how heavy they are? Home bargains sell bags sometimes.

My grandad used to be a coalman and after he retired he always used to buy lump coal to be hacked into nuggets and slack to bed the fire down at night.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've experimented with coal in my hobo's a few times. I find the coal needs mixing with other fuels, or it just smokes horribly. Charcoal is a good mixer. The hobo's were Ikea type with extra holes drilled and a big opening cut out for sticks.

Maybe decent coal like anthracite coal may be better but the stuff in bags from the garage sucks. Coal needs lots of air and heat to burn and getting airflow is key.

I've choked myself a few times on it and now just use charcoal as it doesn't smoke.

Looking forward to seeing the results :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE