Coal fueled hobo stove

Flecktarnbiker

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2013
Hampshire
Just got a small can to make a meths burner out of its only quick one but im bored so yeah...Could i use cotton wool soaked in meths to fuel it or would i need something else. Yes i know id need to put more cotton wool in each time but thatsd the idea

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I burn coal and smokeless fuel in my tent stove but burn it on a raised platform because coal burns very hot and will eat through most steel tent stoves so make sure you can easily swap cans for when they fail.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks squirrel,
Ive heard you can make charcol but where can you buy it from? Also what could i store it in tats compact?

Any petrol station - comes in big sacks for barbecues!

Get the "briquette" type and just store it in a bag. It'll light dead easy with a fire lighter.

Historically charcoal braziers have been used for centuries (millenia in fact). If you think how thin a barbecue is, its unlikely to burn through a robust tin can

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
id get lumpwood charcoal you can get it in most hardware shops like rightway or garages sometimes you can get them in wee paper bags that you lob straight on the bbq and light the bag. i reckon youd get a full bag in a catering size coffee can or similar. May be worth just getting a bucket bbq though for what you want normally about 8-10 quid job done without the risk of failure in the design but i suppose there is no fun in that...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE