Cloaks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the clothing section, so I put it here. If someone wants to move it, fine by me:)
So I found this video about cloaks
[video=youtube;yN8cYd3poIk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN8cYd3poIk&feature=fvwp&NR=1[/video]

and I wondered, does anyone on here use cloaks? and if they do, what are their opinions on them?

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I have made many of these over the years but mostly for reinactor people. The one I kept for myself has a sheep skin sewn into the shoulders.

The main side effect of this is that reinactor girls keep wanting to pet me and feed me oat cakes? A mystery that is?

I have yet to test one on any sort of trip or expedition.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There was a chap who did a you tube video looking at different ways to wear a wool blanket as a clock and how to roll it for sleeping etc.....worth checking it out. I'm on tapatalk on iPad and it's a hassle finding the link lol

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
it also makes a good extra layer round your sleeping bag using a paracord woven through the edges to form a bag to pop your sleeping bag in

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Still got the wife's nursing cloak from back in the 70's, not used in nursing now of course but I'd never get rid of it, she still wears it from time to time;)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
That was great fun. I love cloaks (and capes and ponchos for that matter). ihe's right about how well they deal with rain. I just wish they were more socially acceptable.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I have one I made for festivals but its huge, long and made of old cotton curtains sso useless in the woods in 3 seasons... It's a royal PIA to launder too as it weighs a ton... However it can fit three in comfort in front of a fire and makes me look like a mad auld witch so I love it!
20473_1326240510530_1914652_n.jpg

Wool is definately the way forward and I love his simple design- I often use a shawl folded old-stylee to create a collar, it's grand to see a bigger one which will make a hood :) The cloak nearly got DIY fabsilled, might try it sometime if I didn't think I'd be a human candle at the camp fire ;)

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I like digging through MOD surplus crates like Anchor Supplies etc- bet you have loads near you :) They've often been washed and felted a bit so are slightly more stable... otherwise charity shops in the bedding sections can yield up some gems to patchwork together :)

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I bought 3m of a grey wool at £6 per meter, similar to that in guardsmans great coats, and made a 2/3 circluar cloak with a 1.5m radius. Heavy and bulky BUT warm and weatherproof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE