Classic knives.....suggestions?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could run and run this :)

I suppose it might be easier to "theme" it - e.g. "Classic woodsmans knives" (e.g. Nessmuk, Kephart ) if they go well then a second series could be "Classic historical knives" (e.g. seax, Ballock) a third series could be "Knives of the world" (Tanto, Sgian dubh)

It would be easy enough to have five or so in each series....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

I suppose it might be easier to "theme" it - e.g. "Classic woodsmans knives" (e.g. Nessmuk, Kephart ) if they go well then a second series could be "Classic historical knives" (e.g. seax, Ballock) a third series could be "Knives of the world" (Tanto, Sgian dubh)

Sounds sensible to me, though it's Hillbill's thread. Though it was bound to go mental a maker asking us lot what shinies we'd like to see. :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah i see what your saying. I was aiming at the woodsman side of them initially. I just want to get a good range on my website, probably got enough bushy designs now, i just want to make something different. Bushy sales are slowing up too, so need to cast a wider net so to speak :)

I'm also working on some new designs. A couple of different survival knives, another hunter, camp knife etc. Hopefully by the end of the year, i'll have at least tripled the designs on my website.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Be fascinated to see those survival / utility designs mate. As time goes by I find myself wandering around the barns and paddock using my knife for all sorts of day to day tasks. Whilst I am sure the bushy design is great for its in intended uses - mainly wood working, it has some significant deficiencies for utility work.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah i know, I prefer a higher scandi with a microbevel which helps it. Not much of a wood carver me :) I'm experimenting with something for these survival/utility knives. Nothing major, just taking a leaf out of Da Vinci's book with them, Think vitruvian man ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh I think I know where you may be going there.....

Needs to be quite stainless.....relatively acute tip.....good curve for shear cuts....longer than a bushie...

Drifting off topic sorry :eek:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have a piece of Elmax stainless for the prototype. Its a 3rd generation powdered metalurgy steel. One of, if not the best stainless you can get. Its tough as hell and takes a great edge. Complex HT though.

Last edited:

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Another vote for a Canadian-style No.1 / boat knife. There is a big pent-up demand especially among canoeists for this type of knife - both in No 1 and boat styles, with the flat grind being preferred. There is no UK importer, despite a website offering them (it is a zombie I think - I emailed and no reply), and Grohmann in Canada charge something like $100 to post their version to the UK. In the end, I got a friendly Canadian to bring one over for me. You'd have to me careful with copyright as it is probably a proprietary design.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You cant copyright a knife really, as all someone has to do is use a different steel, or put an extra pin in, or make it slightly smaller or larger and the copyright cant touch it.:)

I'll do a canadian boat knife type if theres a demand for it, certainly. :)

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I don't think i'm a member there... might be though, but not been on for years.

Perhaps i'll do a WIP thread on there with one. Providing the mods/admin are good with it. :)

Stainless i'm assuming?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Are you a member on there then Richard? Would you maybe ask the question about the knife and see what type of stainless they may want them in please? :)

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Plus one for Scout Camp knife. Leather stacked or antler. I prefer the leather. Always wanted one as a friend had one when I was younger. The cheap ones were very light tho, so your build quality on one would really impress.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE