Classic knives.....suggestions?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Not sure yet Red, I'm playing with the idea of somewhere around the 7" blade length, but thats just current thinking and nothing set in stone. Mountain man type bowie maybe :)

sounds kind of like this little one I knocked up the other day..

DSCF4277_zps786341bb-1.jpg

Only, I have a feeling you might be able to execute a cleaner job.. ;) deffo do a trade bowie though and not too fancy!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
None of them are going to "fancy" in their basic form. Just plain working knives as they would have been made back then. Though the option is always there for fancy ones :)

I'll be looking more into Bowies when it comes to making one, may make more than one type yet. Its not all going to happen overnight anyway, takes time to get things right :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I suppose I should be patriotic and say a sgian-dubh. Though if you fancied something larger a dirk or bollock (ballock) dagger may be nice though maybe of limited sales value as again ththe last two are maybe more collecters items as they're fighting based. And if your doing a seax maybe a bit similar market wise though I think a wee sgian-dubh or a seax are eminently useable. Like the fact that your not going too fancy, I do like a blade to look functional.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I suppose I should be patriotic and say a sgian-dubh. Though if you fancied something larger a dirk or bollock (ballock) dagger may be nice though maybe of limited sales value as again ththe last two are maybe more collecters items as they're fighting based. And if your doing a seax maybe a bit similar market wise though I think a wee sgian-dubh or a seax are eminently useable. Like the fact that your not going too fancy, I do like a blade to look functional.

Not a daft idea actually, in fact being able to market a matching set of Scottish cutlery might win you a few orders.

Certainly not a classic but the Tom Brown Tracker always seems to get some interest, maybe you make something a bit more useable than the folks at Tops managed. :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
ah, now pictures of bowies are surfacing I'd like to add a bit on guards. I like finger guards alot, they look good and have a genuine purpose but I don't like two sided guards, just one infront of the finger like Red's puma one! do that to a tidy tradtional and somehwat compact bowie and I'm sold! oh and lots of brass ;)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE