Classic knives.....suggestions?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi folks :)

I'm adding a "classic" range to my knives and would like suggestions as to what knives you would like to see in there.

So far on my list i have

Kephart
Nessmuk
Puukko
Leuku
A classic Bowie
A green river maybe?

What else is there that you would class as a "classic" knife?

All suggestions and discussion welcome :)

Cheers :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
trade knives would be nice, and I like the idea of bowies being more popular over here :)

maybe an interpritation of this classic?

S152BLP-BLACK-HANDLE-SHARPFINGER_0002_zpseff411d7.jpg

*beaten to it by 1 minute! haha, damn photobucket!*

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I know it's a cliché on lists but you hardly see one, and I know the Bowie is on there but what about a brass backed Bowie? Or possibly some different sizes of seax?

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Like the skinner.... will add it to the list. Cheers guys. :)

Whats a brass backed bowie? lol, got a link to one as google isnt throwing up much image wise?\

Seax... of course, forgot about that one. On the list too :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Cheers mate

I wonder if its similar to brass backed saws? Provide rigidity to a thin blade? Perhaps a cost saver back int' day?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The brass was supposed to be soft enough to slow/catch the opponents blade, in conjunction with the hilt this could be used to dissarm your opponent. The bowie was very much a fighting knife and this was a refinement. Would want one purely as a collectable as although I used to carry bowies as an outdoor knife I find most aren't up to the task or are too fancy. Though I do have and old simple bowie which is more like a machette and is nice to use, but a bit overkill.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What about the old leather stacked handle "sheaf" knife, kind of bowie but with a more standard type blade. We all had them as kids usually a Sheffield steel jobby for the proper ones.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Though this is a funny comment on British Blades about the brass back by Jameswoods that tickles me...

"...anti-bushcrafter so they cant use there fire steels..."

I agree don't like using my knife for the firesteel.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah, could do. I have rather a lot of leather offcuts/scrap. Could be a good way to use it. :)

What about the old leather stacked handle "sheaf" knife, kind of bowie but with a more standard type blade. We all had them as kids usually a Sheffield steel jobby for the proper ones.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just thinking about the Kephart knife. They were available with 4 or 5" blades. I'm leaning towards the 5" version shown here... thoughts?

knife.jpg

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not sure yet Red, I'm playing with the idea of somewhere around the 7" blade length, but thats just current thinking and nothing set in stone. Mountain man type bowie maybe :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE