Children books (fiction)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
When I was at the age of 15 / 16 I got these books by Gary Paulsen (in dutch translation though):
- Hatchet
- The River
- The Return
Maybe an idea for underneath this years christmas tree?
I think it's a good read for kids between 12-15 year ... or even older :wink: I still read them in winter near the fire place with some hot coco and a pack of biscuits :biggthump

Hatchet
It's about the 12-year-old Brian, whom's parents got difforced. In a holiday he's brought to the airport by his mum, from were he'll goes to his father up north. As a present he got a small axe from his mum, which he takes with him in the small bush plane.
During the flight the pilot dies and Brian has to fly the plane ... eventually he has to ditch it, because it runs out of fuel.
After the crash he finds himself in a L-shapped lake fighting for his live. When he finally reaches dry ground he has to stay alive ...

More information about Hatchet

The River
In this part the author works out the "what if" scenario - because he got loads of letters from enthousiastic little readers, asking him what would have happened didn't got rescued in Hatchet.
There for it is to be advised to read Hatced before The River.

Brian learnt a lot last summer ... the summer in which he crashed into the lake. Jack Frost is near, so he has to make preperations for winter.
You'll read about Brian while struggling to make moccasins, making his first Big kill with his war bow & arrow and about re-inventing snow shoes.

More information about The River

The Return
Brian is asked to return to the lake by some people of the ministry of Defence.
Among them is a psychologist: his job is to observe people who got trough these sort of hard situations, in order to pass this information on to the soldiers.
At first Brian doesn't want to go back to the lake, but after being told that his adventure can save lives he eventually agreed to return.
The return is organised as an expedition, with all the gear you can think of ... Brian ditched most of the kit in a Brummy Stokes manner ...

The psychologist got wounded and Brian has to bring him back to civilisation.
This is another thrilling story in which Brian has to survive with only a folding (pocket) knife.

More information about The Return

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Brendon Chase,set in 1925 its a strory about three brothers who run away from home to live in the forest taking their uncles hunting rifle with them.Its one of the best childrens books ever written in my opinion.

HAM

Sep 6, 2004
Aberdeen
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. About Sam Gribley, who runs away to the Catskills to live on his grandfathers derelict farm. Its what got me started on this journey. Probably good for kids a little younger, say 10 - 12 years old.

The best childrens book ever had to be "The Boy with the Bronze Axe" by kathleen Fiddler, set at the end of the stone age in the Orkney Islands and based partly on actual findings at the stone age settlement of Skara Brae. Out of print now but I'm continually looking for a copy for my kids.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
CLEM said:
Brendon Chase,set in 1925 its a strory about three brothers who run away from home to live in the forest taking their uncles hunting rifle with them.Its one of the best childrens books ever written in my opinion.
I must of read that a dozen times I still look inside hollow oaks in case the bears still there I think that book put me on my endless trundle of the woods Im 46 now and have never forgotten the chacoal burner every time I have a bar b que

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. About Sam Gribley, who runs away to the Catskills to live on his grandfathers derelict farm. Its what got me started on this journey. Probably good for kids a little younger, say 10 - 12 years old.

Another vote for that one. I am surprised that someone this side of the Ocean has read it. Think you are probably right about the age. She did a couple of other books that were pretty good. Talking Earth about a Seminole girl in the Everglades and Julie of the Wolves about a girl on the tundra.

When I was in NY there was a brief thing on Channel 13 about Jean Craighead George showing kids hwo to do fire by friction. I reckon that her books were what really started me on bushcraft.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
bloodline said:
I must of read that a dozen times I still look inside hollow oaks in case the bears still there I think that book put me on my endless trundle of the woods Im 46 now and have never forgotten the chacoal burner every time I have a bar b que
Its a great book i really enjoyed it i have to say.I really wish that they would show the 80s tv version again too.It was great fun and just my element as a young lad.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
HAM said:

C_Claycomb said:
Another vote for that one. I am surprised that someone this side of the Ocean has read it. Think you are probably right about the age. She did a couple of other books that were pretty good. Talking Earth about a Seminole girl in the Everglades and Julie of the Wolves about a girl on the tundra.

Yet another vote for My side of the mountain :) and I am from Cumbria ;)

Oh and I forgot, it's not fiction but I enjoyed reading The Shining Levels by John Wyatt when I was about twelve.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
HAM said:

Another vote for 'My Side of The Mountain'. Might have been written as a kid's book but it still makes me want to disappear off into the wilderness whenever I read it again. Great book.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Realgar said:
Stig of the Dump - Clive King

Should be a legal requirement on any bookshelf.

Hah, I was thinking that exact same thing!

When I was a kid I really loved Jack London's White Fang, too. And The Robber Hotzenplotz by Otfried Preussler, but I lost my ancient copy of that most excellent book :(.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I'm another one for "my side of the mountain". Still got it somewhere abouts in the house..... Look's like it isn't that rare over here in blighty.. :)

How many read "the machine gunners" ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE