Cheapo Folding Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I'm after a folding knife for my ultra light kit. Any recommendations on one that's cheap, reliable and light?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Opinels immediately come to mind.

A little more robust, a Spyderco Calypso Jr.

A little less pricey, a Kabar/Dozier lockback.

kabar_doziers1b.jpg

One of my very favorites, a Kissing Crane Brown Mule. Dirt cheap and a rock solid slipjoint.

brown_mule1b.jpg

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
get yourself one of these;

Image200.jpg

Image202.jpg

i don't know the propper name but iv heard people call them 'jack knives' cost me £2.50 from the local army surplus:D ok it was a little grotty when i got it but after a soak in WD40, a good scrub with wire wool and a good sharpen it has been the best pocket knife iv ever owned. not the lightest knife in the world but the steel takes a wicked edge and it is pretty much bomb proof.

it also has a passable can opener and a marlin spike too which come in handy. also because the blade is only 6cm and is non locking it is legal to carry in the UK:)

would i rate it over an opinel? i used to have a no.10 which was good but the blade was very thin at the tip which worried me. i stupidly used it to split some wood with a batton which buggered the lock:eek:
i do like opinels but for me there is no point carrying a folding knife unless you want to keep the law happy. if your going to get done for carring a locking blade you may as well carry a fixed blade.

pete

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Well swiss army knives come to mind when you say cheap, reliable and light, they're fairly cheap, very light (especially the plastic ones) and they've never let me down so far and I've had one in my pocket for years. I think Victorinox is the brand to go for, them and Wenger are now one company but if they haven't changed how the Wenger ones are made I'd rather have a Victorinox.

They also make ones with just a single blade or a large and small blade if that's the kinda thing you're looking for. (single bladed boy scout sentry, double bladed secretary)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE