Cheap boil in the bag meals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rcastillo

Jul 10, 2009
London
I've been using Sainburys' 2 Minute Meals for a while now. They're actually microwave meals but the plastic seems perfect for boil in the bag too. If cooking for 2 it's worth knowing that two meals fit perfectly in an MSR kettle, and you can then use the hot water for quick-cook rice! Oh and they're cheap as chips, a fraction of the price of Wayfayrer or similar!

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/glo...GLOBAL_DATA._searchType=0&bmUID=1266587133614

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've been using these too, apparently Tesos do a great range. A much better alternative to the expensive stuff you get in outdoors shops.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've been using these too, apparently Tesos do a great range. A much better alternative to the expensive stuff you get in outdoors shops.

any issues arising from the plastic?

I remember some time ago people were worried about the effect of boiling certain plastics.

cheers

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

I remember some time ago people were worried about the effect of boiling certain plastics.

cheers

If they can stand boiling in a microwave, they should stand some boiling water too. I've not had a problem, been using them for a couple of years. Uncle Bens ready rice even longer.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston

cheers

Sometimes I just open these boil in the bag meals and fry them up in the pot. you don't even need to boil them.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
The Sainsburys ones look good value...

I used to buy the Prince's Thai Green Chicken Curry pouches, but Tesco seem to have ceased stocking them, so I keep looking for alternatives.

Off to Sainsburys this weekend, I think !

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
The Sainsburys ones look good value...

I used to buy the Prince's Thai Green Chicken Curry pouches, but Tesco seem to have ceased stocking them, so I keep looking for alternatives.

Off to Sainsburys this weekend, I think !

Managed to stop off at Sainsburys last night, got a selection of the 2 minute pouches - Chicken Tikka Massala, Chicken Korma, and Thai Green Chicken Curry.

I think I prefer the Tikka Massala and Korma, but the range is certainly good value, they have meatballs in tomato sauce also, might get one of those next time.

just bought ..cos i saw it :rolleyes:

sainsburys own Long life bacon brunch its potatoes with bacon and onion bits in a heavy foil bag like a Rat pack one

i suppose you could boil it :eek:

but its for frying :D;) so you get all them crisp burn bits .... I hope

£1.69 is a bit steep but we will see its supposed to do 2 as part of a balanced meal :lmao:
but im gonna try it for me with a packet of sausages on sunday morn in the woods definalty gonna needa full crusader of coffe for it i recon

ATB

Duncan

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire

sainsburys own Long life bacon brunch its potatoes with bacon and onion bits in a heavy foil bag like a Rat pack one

£1.69 is a bit steep but we will see its supposed to do 2 as part of a balanced meal :lmao:
but im gonna try it for me with a packet of sausages on sunday morn in the woods definalty gonna needa full crusader of coffe for it i recon

ATB

Duncan

That stuff is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

I have to cook it when herself and the kids are out, cos I never get a look in.

Sachet of brown / red sauce goes a treat in it too.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I use those as emergency stores FGYT, they keep for months. Wouldn't try boiling though, when you cut the tinfoil bag the grub slides out in it's own cooking fat/oil for frying. You can get egg brunch too. I like 'em, Don't eat more than a couple a week though as each one needs a 3 mile run afterwards otherwise you'll be roly-poly in a month...:lmao:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

ATB

Duncan

They fry up nicely...and the burnt crispy bits are deffo worth having:D

1 packet fills a medium frying pan.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE