Central Plateau trip NZ in July

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Last week was half term here in NZ.. We’re in the middle of winter but the weather was forecast to be excellent so I took the week off work and headed down to the Central Plateau Here in NZ’s North Island for a few days tramping with my children..
At this time of year all roads lead to the mountains in NZ
endlessroad14-04-20093-54-21am.jpg

The aim was to have a couple of 2 day walks staying in a backcountry hut overnight. My children are both 7 ( yep we were blessed with Twins) so the days were not going to be long distance wise.
Most of the Huts in the Alpine region feature a wood burner and a supply of cut dry wood and an axe for splitting so having a warm dry spot to sleep in was important for us.
Our first walk took us from Whakapapa village at the base of Mt Ruapehu to Whakapapaiti Hut via a well defined track along the Whakapapa Iti Valley.
At the elevation we were walking at there was some patchy snow and ice / frosy but nothing really serious. The path passes through montane bush and alpine medows. It’s great country and perfect on a winters day...
IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

The ground is heavily frozen with a significant frost...
IMG_0403.jpg

We stopped frequently for some nutty of one form or another which is fair enough...
IMG_0400.jpg

The children were carrying just the basics a sleeping bag waterproofs and spare clothes and some lollies.
IMG_0418.jpg

Here I am with the rest of the kit and the all important food bag..
IMG_0411.jpg

The day progressed well but a little slower than normal which was fine we crossed the river a few times ....
IMG_0413.jpg

And finally made it to the hut for dinner a fire a game of draughts and some well deserved rest...

Here is a shot of the interior of WhakapapaIti hut just before we left the next day. We prepped the fire with some tinder and kindling so the next visitor could get the fire going....
IMG_0414.jpg

The troops were happy to get going...
whakapapaitihut13-04-200910-31-42pm.jpg

adventureseekers13-04-200910-32-00p.jpg

That’s the whakapapa side of Ruapehu on the skyline....
We walked up hill to a ridgeline that opened out onto what is known as Scoria flat passing some frozen terrain on the way...
frozenstream13-04-200910-54-14pm.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

On the ridge line we stopped for a brew made with the trusty coleman Peak 1 stove a very good bit of kit if you use the right fuel....
IMG_0431.jpg

And then down to the road and back to Whakapapa village and the car... 2 good days...
However after a Chinese parliament with the children we decided that another hut would be a good thing so we headed around the mountain by road to Ohakune and after stocking up at the supermarket with food and essential supplies. We Found ourselves walking into Blyth Hut which is situated at about 1380m or just below the snow line...
Numerous stops abounded but with a view like this it’s worth it...
IMG_0450.jpg

As it was a bit higher we got the full winter in the forest effect... Or Narnia as the troops called it...
IMG_0469.jpg

cold15-04-20092-59-12am-1.jpg

Finally the Hut....
IMG_0464.jpg

And the familiar hut routine of getting the fire lit....
IMG_0456.jpg

Getting tea cooked... ( Butter chicken and rice cooked stove top style)
IMG_0458.jpg

And writing up a diary for the troops...
diarytime15-04-20099-14-07am.jpg

Of course there is more but suffice it to say we all had a great time. Getting Children out into wild places is very important and if done with care and safety you reap the rewards as a parent...

Hope you like the pictures..

Cheers

John

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Once again John very envious here. Looks like a fantastic trip and the kids really seem to be at home in the wild. Thganks for sharing mate.

Andy

We are just planning out next years main holiday and its looking like 4 weeks in North America/ Canada Or New Zealand who will win??? fight!!!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We are just planning out next years main holiday and its looking like 4 weeks in North America/ Canada Or New Zealand who will win??? fight!!!!

My money's on Lesley :)

I think we're doing Canada again next July/August, probably spending more time in one or two places and less driving this time.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Once again John very envious here. Looks like a fantastic trip and the kids really seem to be at home in the wild. Thganks for sharing mate.

Andy

Hi Andy,

If you end up deciding on NZ let me know and we can sort out a trip or something if you come down. If you fancy that sort of thing..

Cheers

John

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
looks like a fantastic place and trip and is there many of these huts and can any one use them

drew

Hi Drew,

Yep NZ has a pretty comprehensive network of Backcountry huts. See:

http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~fiski/nzhuts/nzhuts4b.html

It's very common for folk to use them probably more common than tents TBH. I generally either use huts or fly (tarp) camp or bivvy when I'm out and about over here.

There is a nominal charge and you purchase a hut ticket or tickets. Different huts have different facilities. The huts in the photos are known as serviced huts as the fire wood is flown in so they cost more tickets to stay in per night than a basic bivvy style hut. One option is to purchase a hut pass for about $90.00 per year this allows unlimited stays in any type of hut at any time of year.

In winter the majority of huts are unmanned in the summer on some of the more popular trails there is usually a hut warden.

All huts are unlocked and we're fortunate that for the most part they are respected and looked after by those that use them.

The is a definate ettiquete to hut use such as making a brew for late arrivals into the hut. leaving chopped kindling if the hut has a fire box and keeping you kit in order and not strewn about packing out your rubbish. Most Kiwi hut users know about this some overseas visitors dont..

All in all it's an excellent system, we're very fortunate to have it...

HTH

John

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Looks like you had a lovely trip John, and perfect weather too! I bet the kids loved it. I'm planning on a night or two out with my eldest (Katie, aged 9) in a hut somewhere, but haven't got round to it yet.
Cheers,
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yep get out there man! Hut's make it entirely do-able and a heated hut is even better in Winter...

let me know how you get on...

Cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE