Celeriac is surprisingly tasty.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
My wife grows and I make. Most of the time.....
But tonight I made a tasty part of our supper; Celeriac & potato mash.
I was pleasantly surprised at the end result and for those who are starting out growing their own food this is a root crop that will reward even poor gardening skills.
Celeriac and potato mash with honey, French mustard and butter. Yum!
What's on the plate; Lentil, onion & herb pasties. Pole beans & carrots with celeriac & potato mash. Everything except the lentils, pastry and some of the herbs are from the garden. Hodmedods supplied the lentils and these are grown in the UK. The pastry came from the Co Op.
S

Attachments

• IMG_0518.jpeg
    IMG_0518.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I love celeriac. Try a remoulade. Mix mayo, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl, and then grate raw celeriac into it. Very edible stuff indeed.

• Wow
Reactions: swyn and ANDYLASER

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sadly, our celeriac failed this year :(
Ours too. I think like most roots, they thrive on even watering and ours bolted during a hot dry spell when I’d been a bit lacking in giving them attention. Stressed plants automatically look to reproduce quickly and go to seed. Once they’ve bolted, that’s it, the root puts it’s all into seed production.

Same with yours?

Off topic (;)) as it’s a bulb.

We have an ancient Amaryllis in an old sand castle bucket in the kitchen. It suffers almost total neglect to the point we nearly throw it out. But we can’t, because every year it does this. Not a root veg, it’s more on a timer to make seed. How do they know?

47B49DF3-18CE-481E-97D6-21FF291467B2.jpeg

And, after almost zero water in the last year, here we go again. :)

E3ED6536-25CB-4E99-B971-1066624F9497.jpeg

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ours too. I think like most roots, they thrive on even watering and ours bolted during a hot dry spell when I’d been a bit lacking in giving them attention. Once they’ve bolted, that’s it, the root puts it’s all into seed production.

Same with yours?

No, ours just never got going - we were a bit late getting it in because I completely rebuilt the terrace that our veg patch is on. Hopefully we'll be a bit earlier this year!

Reactions: Nice65

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Never had celeriac.
What does it taste like?
Because of it's name I've always thought it would taste like celery, which is one of the Three Flavours of Satan*.

*the other two being garlic and fish.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Never had celeriac.
What does it taste like?
Because of it's name I've always thought it would taste like celery, which is one of the Three Flavours of Satan*.

Hard to describe, but it cuts through everything, so use a small amount to start with! I use it cut into tiny cubes in vegetable soups, but usually don't use the whole root for a huge pot of soup.

I detest celery too and to me it doesn't taste the same at all. But as I said, it's very strong, so a little goes a long way.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I hate celery too, but celeriac chips are nice.
I grew some this last year under cover but produced no tuber. I'll try outside this year maybe.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Never had celeriac.
What does it taste like?

Hard to describe, but it cuts through everything, so use a small amount to start with! I use it cut into tiny cubes in vegetable soups, but usually don't use the whole root for a huge pot of soup.

I detest celery too and to me it doesn't taste the same at all. But as I said, it's very strong, so a little goes a long way.
I’m wondering if this is like a Coriander thing? Some love it and some say it’s like soapy water.

Celeriac to me tastes very like Celery, I’d say Celery has the stronger Umami type flavour and Celariac a softer version of it.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I’m wondering if this is like a Coriander thing? Some love it and some say it’s like soapy water.

Celeriac to me tastes very like Celery, I’d say Celery has the stronger Umami type flavour and Celariac a softer version of it.
Probably. I've now reached the point where I can eat food with tiny amounts of celery in it, but it used to be too unpleasant to eat for me. Not a fan of coriander either. :)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Finally remembered to take a picture of the celeriac bed. They were/are a good crop.
Netting is to stop the feral chickens who love their type of ‘gardening’!
S

Attachments

• 1A1C9F73-A7A6-4460-A680-1CC12E32CE3A.jpeg
    1A1C9F73-A7A6-4460-A680-1CC12E32CE3A.jpeg
    829.4 KB · Views: 3

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE