Home cooking, affordable and delicious!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
We had Horta today.
IMAG0784.jpg

Doesn't really come much cheaper as most the time the mother-in-law picked it herself.
Supposedly really good for you as well, although the fact that i tend to have it with chips doesn't help :lmao:

http://realgreekrecipes.blogspot.gr/2010/03/greek-greens-horta.html

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
homemade mixed beans
handfull each of dried kidney, haricot, mung, rehydrated and cooked in a pressure cooker for 30mins. Disgard cooking liquid. add tin of tomatoes, a diced onion crushed garlic, salt and herbs. Cook for another ten minutes. serve with cheese melted over the top and eat with tortilla chips or doritos. It can be chillied up.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Buffalo Wings:

-About 2 dozen chicken wings
-A half cup melted butter
-A half cup Tobasco sauce
-Enough oil for a deep fryer

Disjoint the wings into 3 pieces each (drummet, 2 bone middle piece, and the tip) Discard the tips. Deep fry the remaining pieces and toss them in the buffalo sauce (the melted butter and Tobasco mixed) Serve with peeled carrot sticks and celery sticks as a side. Serve a dip such as a salad dressing (Traditionally the dressing is either Ranch or Bleau Cheese) Serves 4 (or 2 hungry men)

Adjust the ratio of butter to Tobasco to taste.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Straight out of Air Force chow halls (back in the day anyway)

SOS served on toast, American style biscuits, or hash brown potatoes (I know the article says mashed but I've never seen that but I'm sure it would be good on them too)

i.1.xxIgJ1oXDBMC7uM3m240SY-0KeoMS0MjUbciJ3l5ndA..jpg

Fran's Notes:This easy-to-make dish comes from Depression cooking, where a little meat could be stretched to feed & fill up a lot of people, and from the United States military, for the same reason. As a Navy Brat born to Depression Era parents, it's a given that this dish would be on our table!

If you prefer the Chipped Beef version, cut the dry beef into small pieces. Make a roux from butter, flour, and milk, then add the chipped beef pieces after it thickens.

For those who weren't military brats, the SOS stands for "S--- On a Shingle" OR "Same Old S---." Bet you can figure it out! =^..^=

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One pot meal cooking as I type this, diced beef, smoked bacon chunks, onion, mushroom, garlic, celery with enough water to just cover. Simmer long and slow serve with rice.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Cheap and cheerful

Lambs Liver (patted dry)
Juice from one orange
Cumin, heaped teaspoon
Salt, 1/2 tsp
Ground pepper, 1 tsp
Garlic (to taste) me 5-6 bulbs crushed

Mix all the ingredients to make a marinade, chuck the lambs liver back in and marinade for as long as possible. I usually BBQ this on skewers, but its good on the grill pan as well!

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Chop some chorizo and sweat it in a pan. when its liberated some of its oil toss in chopped garlic and onion.
sweat these down a bit (whilst stealing chorizo and burning your tongue)
reply to any accusations of chorizo theft with a blank expression.
add a glass of red (optional)
slurp on red (optional)
pour in 1 can of tomatoes and bring up to the bubble
add in a hefty pinch of rosemary (fresh if you can), some black pepper and some paprika.
you can add dried chilli too if you like.
drain a tin of butter beans and toss in.
you probably need more fluid now, so add some chicken stock.
bubble this lot for a few minutes.
toss in a handful or two of spinach

Serve with crusty bread and try not to dribble juice down your chin, it makes you look a bit manic (apparently)

Chorizo is the best bush ( or home) ingredient bar none.

Next time you make the above try cracking an egg of two onto the top and covering with a lid so the eggs cook but the yolks remain runny. It's pretty much the same as my take on Huevos Rancheros which has to be one of the best hangover cures and/or bushcraft brekkie I know.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We had the same in the brit navy santaman, sh*t on a raft being its given title!

Yeah I figured it's been around the world. I'm not sure but I believe our Navy uses chipped beef whereas the Air Forces uses ground beef (mince) In the southern US civilians most often use crumbled sausage meat.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Farting about with baked beans;

Take a can of Aldi/Lidl beans and add;
3 cloves chopped garlic or desertspoon garlic granules
1tbsp of dried Onions
Equal amounts of Parsely, Oregano, Marjoram to taste (I use 1/4tsp of each)
Twice as much dried Basil as Parsely
Pinch of dried Thyme
10-15 Caraway seeds
Shake of Maggi seasoning or Dark Soy sauce
Ground Black Pepper to taste.
1/4tsp ground Cinnamon
1 tbsp Wheatgerm.
1 tsp Black Poppy seeds.

I've been tuning this recipe for years.
Not only tastes fantastic, but turns my guts into a supercharged methane factory!

I never tire of laughing at my own farts :)

Most of the herbs came from the garden, all the rest I buy from my local cash and carry for at least 10 times less cost per weight than supermarket jars.

Remind me not to hang within half a mile of you :rofl: Like the recipe though, I do similar things ...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's funny, was very meat orientated when younger, but these days when hungry, skint or eating hospital food I really crave and I mean crave simple stuff like a plate of mashed potatoes with butter and fresh milled pepper. Beans and pulses. Macaroni cheese, or just pasta in general. Or as I'm a Scot and we eat more soup per capita than anyone else good old Scots Broth. Hmmm with tatties, neeps, carrots, parsnips, onions, kale, bit of chicken, mutton or ham, lentils and the two best bits leeks and the lovely al dente pearl barley.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You had to bring up mac & cheese didn't you. LOL. It's good just on it's own or you can dice meat into the recipe to make one dish meals:
-Ground beef (vary this by also adding some tomato based sauce and seasonings for a "cheesy, chili mac")
-Ham
-Spam
-Diced bacon

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You had to bring up mac & cheese didn't you. LOL. It's good just on it's own or you can dice meat into the recipe to make one dish meals:
-Ground beef (vary this by also adding some tomato based sauce and seasonings for a "cheesy, chili mac")
-Ham
-Spam
-Diced bacon

I make my mac & cheese with wholegrain mustard in the sauce and very strong cheese, Some quartered boiled eggs in the bottom of the serving dish, sometimes some bacon and fried onions mixed in, and with an oat or breadcrumb cheesy topping for crunchy bits.:p

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cant believe none of the Scousers haven't put up Lobscouse yet (or the German version with beetroot in it):p If the don't I will. But may put up Stovies instead - food of the gods.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Right then Stovies. Now a lot of folk will say you can make Stovies with a tin of corned beef. NO YOU CAN'T. That's corned beef hash, or lobscouse. Nice but not blinking stovies.

This is Stovies: -

Ingredients

• 3 Kg/6Lbs Potatoes (Maris Pipers, King Edwards or Roosters - Peeled and Chopped )
  • 1 - 2 Onions (Chopped)
  • 100g/3.5Oz Dripping (Beef Dripping, Goose Fat or Vegetable Dripping)
  • 1 Kg/2Ibs Meat (Usually lamb, mutton or Beef - Already Cooked, what's left over from a family roast)
  • 200g/7Oz Gravy (From the lamb or Beef)
  • Salt & Pepper (For cooking.)

Method

Step 1.
In a saucepan, melt approximately 100g of your lard. This will be quicker than you expect. Add the onions to the pan and lightly fry. Make sure that the onions are still white and are not cooked long enough to begin turning brown.
Step 2.
Add the onions, lard and your potatoes to the slow cooker and stir until all the potatoes are coated in lard. If you have to add some more, add it a teaspoon at a time, as it is easy to use too much lard. Add a few spoons of the gravy from your meat, a couple of tablespoons of water, and a couple of pinches of salt.
Step 3.
Cook for 8 hours on low, or 4 hours on high. About halfway through add in your meat with a few more spoonfuls of gravy. You will need to check the pot every hour and if you need to add a little extra water, do it a teaspoon at a time. You only want just enough to stop the potatoes from burning into the pot.
Step 4.
Don't mash the potatoes as when they are ready, they will break down with the stirring.
Step 5.
Serve with oatcakes and beetroot with a glass of milk for the traditional fare with plenty of fresh black pepper, or add beans like they do nowadays.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well not exactly healthy, and not really a "meal" either, but how about a dessert?

7463_10201113471816893_492041422_n.jpg

BANANA PUDDING FROM SCRATCH
1/2 c. sugar
2 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. milk...
4 separated eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla flavor (or better still use vanilla extract)
1 box of Vanilla Wafers
4 med. ripe bananas

Mix flour, salt, and sugar; add milk slowly. Stir constantly over low heat until thickened. Stir and cook for about 15 minutes. Beat egg yolks in bowl and stir into mixture slowly stirring constantly. Cook about 5 more minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Line bottom of casserole dish with vanilla wafers, bananas (sliced) and custard mixture. Repeat layers, ending with custard on top. Beat egg whites until stiff. Add 1/4 cup sugar; whip until it peaks. Spread on top of custard and bake in oven at 450 degrees for about 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven and let cool before serving (it's best if refrigerated overnight)

This recipe can be made gluten free by substituting gluten free flour and gluten free vanilla wafers.

for *DISCLAIMER* This is not my recipe but lifted from the internet; however I can vouch for the end result.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Here's one a little healthier, an old Southern favorite, salmon patties:

Ingredients:
-1 can (14 ounces) of salmon
-2 eggs (beaten)
-1 *cup* cracker crumbs (biscuit crumbs)
-2 tablespoons of cornmeal
-Salt & pepper to taste
-1/4 *cup* chopped green onions
-1 teaspoon dry mustard powder or bottled brown mustard
-Vegetable oil to fry (or keep it healthy by using no stick spray)

*Cup* equates to US measure so adjust as needed

Drain the salmon and place in mixing bowl. Add all the other ingredients except the oil and mix well. Divide into four portions and shape into patties about a half inch thick. Preheat oil in a frying pan or on a griddle then fry the patties (turning once) until browned on each side and heated through.

Serve on a plate with a side of chips or mixed vegetables and a good seafood sauce OR alternatively serve on a bun dressed to taste with a side of chips (obviously the healthiest option is on a plate with side of veg)

Here's a pic of the finished product
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UeRF6kYET...AC_M/NdvIMCzLjW0/s1600/salmon+patties+VII.jpg

Variations can be obtained easily by substituting another canned fish such as tuna or crab (just make sure total amount of canned fish is 14 ounces or near)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice video. But Depression Era my foot! That was the standard coffee pot all the way up until the 1980s.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE