Home cooking, affordable and delicious!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
spanish omelette

thin slice a potato and cook it in oil, add an onion once potato is cooked a bit

beat eggs and and the potato and onion mixture to the egg and stir

pour into a pan and flip half wy through cooking with the assistance of a plate

bish bash bosh

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Hi Samon

Thanks for this thread, we live off this type of food, cheap, simple to make, basic cooking skills and you know what goes into it:)

Loads of recipes come to mind, basic skills involved and ok some do require a bit of time and planning but the rewards are greater :D

Chilli (veg rich)
Cottage Pie with added layers
Old fashioned Pea and Ham Soup
Dieters veg soup ( and no... it's not just cabbage... lol... )
Potato wedges (that really don't take much more time to cook than oven chips but are soooo... much better for you)
Spag Bol from scratch.
Fritatta (so easy)

It's just as easy to make 2 portions as it is to make a batch and freeze...

Thanks...

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I often make large batches so the rest can be frozen and my freezer is always full of ready made healthy meals made by myself. Difficulties with sleeping often keep me up for days on end, and the nights are the most boring/lonely so making food is always a good remedy!

I also make a chicken soup that is particularly nice:

I start with making a chicken stock, usually I store the cooked chicken bones in a resealable freezer bag for making stocks and collect them untill I have a decent ammount to make a great stock!

And I add boiling water to a cup of pearly barley, to use later on. (a handful or so)

Once the stock is made I add a few scraps of chicken meat in, with a stock cube and then add the semi cooked barley and stir in some seasoning (salt and pepper to taste, and some herbs of your choice- I use marjoram and tarragon)

simmer until the barley is done and the chicken is tender, then add some very cheap frozen sweetcorn and serve once that has cooked through! :)

Elen Sentier

spanish omelette

thin slice a potato and cook it in oil, add an onion once potato is cooked a bit

beat eggs and and the potato and onion mixture to the egg and stir

pour into a pan and flip half wy through cooking with the assistance of a plate

bish bash bosh

I add other veg in here too, whatever's in the fridge, makes it even tastier

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Here's my most recent favourite...

Roughly cut up an onion and brown it in a heavy pan (a Dutch oven works well).
Add some chunks of chicken ( I dare-say lamb rabbit or goat would be equally as tasty).
Throw in a pot of antipasti (the one with olives, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic etc) and some lemon juice if you have it (I tried to use "preserved lemons" but finding those in Mid Wales is like looking for a sunny day)!
Season with herbs, ginger, cayenne pepper and salt.
Add a little stock or water to give it some sauce (a tin of chopped tomatoes might work to add body to it).
Cook until you can stand the hunger pains any more.
Serve with cous-cous or rice.

I'm taking this one to next years Moot!

ATB

Ogri the trog

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Chop some chorizo and sweat it in a pan. when its liberated some of its oil toss in chopped garlic and onion.
sweat these down a bit (whilst stealing chorizo and burning your tongue)
reply to any accusations of chorizo theft with a blank expression.
add a glass of red (optional)
slurp on red (optional)
pour in 1 can of tomatoes and bring up to the bubble
add in a hefty pinch of rosemary (fresh if you can), some black pepper and some paprika.
you can add dried chilli too if you like.
drain a tin of butter beans and toss in.
you probably need more fluid now, so add some chicken stock.
bubble this lot for a few minutes.
toss in a handful or two of spinach

Serve with crusty bread and try not to dribble juice down your chin, it makes you look a bit manic (apparently)

kennyboy

Jul 15, 2009
N.Ireland
I always have a jar of pickled chillie and garlic in the cupboard.
Tins of tomatoes. Whole/chopped/whatever, never can have enough.
I believe with these three ingredients you can transform any meal into something amazing.

One of my favorites:
1 tin Asda/tesco/etc mince and onions
1 tin tomatoes
1 chillie
1 clove garlic
1 oxo cube
1 tin baked beans (I sieve out the sauce. Just need the beans for bulk. Keep the sauce for toast later).
Salt/pepper to taste.
adjust above to taste.
bread/rice/pasta/chips or whatever.

Serves two people.
Cost less than £1.

Fast and simple.
Takes about 15 mins to make.

Last edited:

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Good thread.What is the method for making stock? I mind my maw making chicken noodle soup and she as far as I remember used to put the remains of a roast chicken in a pot and boiled it.I bought a book a few weeks back that was intended for students that has good cheap recipes, have to say I rarely cook tbh, main part of my diet comes from tinned mackeral and tuna eaten straight from the tin, cheap and nutritious

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I forget which is "stock: and which is "broth" but the methods are:

1) Simmer the bones in an appropriate amount of water and then skim the debris from the resulting liquid.
2) Simmer the fatty bits of meat in a similar manner.

One of those is "stock" while the other is "broth."

In either case you can make it well ahead of time and preserve it by pouring it into ice cbe trays and freezing it. Once frozed, turn the cubes out into a zip lock and place back in the freezer for future use.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Good thread.What is the method for making stock?

my method is in the first few thick paragraphs :)

I made some sloppy joes last night! it was pretty good :D

I used 250 grams of minced fatty beef (as it was only a practice run)
an equal ammount of bbq sauce
small cup of water
soy sauce-to tackle the overly sweet nature of the strange bbq suace..
one chop and fried onion
mustard powder
paprika

I started by frying the mince and onions with a little oil, once it was nearly done I added the sauce, and then the water. Once it was reducing I added the spices and soy, stirred and served on buns with a grating of cheddar!

I did try making myown bbq sauce but it came out a bit italian :rolleyes:..

I'll be adjusting it again later to find the ebst for me recipe! cheers santaman ;)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Your quite welcome. And it sounds as if you've got the idea down perfectly. As you say now you just adjust it to suit your own taste (enough BBQ sauce without being too much, tangy or sweet, cheese or no cheese, etc,) You might even vary the buns; regular buns, sesame buns, whole wheat buns, etc.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Had a couple of bacon hocks spare so made a hearty soup from

2xBacon hocks
couple of leeks
few carrots
no onion because of the leeks
garlic
diced spud
few mushrooms
garlic
herbs
lentils
I cheated and used a can of butter beans instead of soaking dried.

This was more or less a fridge clear out and made a good cold day soup/almost a stew. Its typical of the sort of WW2 'make do and mend' ideas, see what you have to hand and use.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Red Beans and Rice:

- 1 pound package of dried red beans (kidney beans will do in a pinch)
- About a cup of rice (before cooking)
- Seasoning to taste (usually salt, pepper and cayenne pepper)
- About a pound of smoked sausage (or a couple of ham hocks)

Soak the beans over night then change the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook aprocimately 45 minutes to an hour and a half (until beans are tender) If using sausage, add it the last half hour of cooking; if using ham hock, add it at the beginning. Cook rice according to package instructions.

Serve a bowl of the beans with it's own liquid (which should be the consistencey of a thick pot liquor or a very thin gravy) Be sure there's a serving of the meat in each bowl and add a dollop of cooked rice in the center of the beans.

Dec 28, 2009
Dorset
Patatas Bravas - cheap & easy

-Enough peeled and quartered floury potatoes to sit comfortably in a frying pan
-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
-1 tin of tomatoes
-Hot sauce to taste

Shallow fry the spuds in veg oil until golden, then bung into a hot oven.
Meanwhile gently fry the garlic in a saucepan then add the tomatoes & as much hot sauce as you like, simmer until thickened.
Take the potatoes out, by this time they should be crisp and crunchy on the outside but fluffy inside. Drain the potatoes, pat the excess oil off with kitchen paper if you want, put onto a big plate and top with the sauce.

You can use leftover roast potatoes for this.

Cheers,
Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE