Catapults

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 2, 2004
practise makes a good shot! you need to put the effort in though.its about consistency as well.as with archery,you need to use the same pull each time and a good tip is to move your whole body not just your arms to aim.
i,ve whacked quite a few bunnies but it was from a static position by a hedgerow,i just waited till they popped out a few feet then WHACK! but be carefull cause if you only stun them they will jump back in sharpish.if in doubt run over and dispatch straight away.
but buy an airgun if you live in the mainland.i need a lisence over here and they are a bugger to get.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
has any one tried to fire shot from a catpult?i.e a dozen or 2 bbs about 6mm diameter. I have a piegon roost on my patch and can often get to within 10 metres, so would it be effective?

Mar 2, 2004
im lucky if i can get a few fields away from the woodies near here but in sure if your that close then it would be effective m8 better yet though i think if you used a funnel type cup to hold your ammo like coarse fishermen use to shoot maggots then you could get a better grouping anstead of the more erratic pattern from a standard leather type holder,what do you recon m8?

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
just brought some catty elastic and dug out the ancient milbro frame,when Ive assembled it, I'll give it a go and keep you posted :wink: Never did get to see your joke tho! :-(

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
When I was young, always used single projectiles, mostly selected stones, in the spring time we used glass marbles. Now I use steel ball bearings 3/8" for most game and glass marbles to chase bears away.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I see why your called a wolverine! :cool: if we had any bears in this country I wouldn't be shooting them with a catpult, Well actually thinking about it, I probably would as our government wont let most of us any easy access to any effective weapons.even carrying a knife over here is technically illegal most of the time. :wink:

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I am of the bear clan so I cannot kill a bear except to save a life, the bear is my family. If they get unreasonable sometimes you have to chatise them. If you get confronted with a black bear assume the largest profile that you can (put your coat, sweater over your head, oops! do not block your vision) and in a calm voice try to soothe it; slowly, carefully back away do not fall, do not stare the bear down as this is an aggressive posture for the bear and it could precipitate an attack unless thats what you want :lol: Do not run a bear can outrun a horse in a short race. Never lie down and play dead with a black bear. If there is contact then fight for your life punch and kick and bite the same as fighting a human anatomy is the same. With a brown or grizzly bear the opposite is true play dead keep your pack on so if the bear bites you it will have something else in it's mouth other than you, clasp your hands around your neck let it bite your hands not your neck it will hurt, try to keep from being turned over and expossing you vitals. :-( I usually will talk a bear away and lead it from the others till it sees something else to take interest (does that make me boring?)
just a thought

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Boring ! :shock:
Blyme I fell privilaged to have met a bear let alone talking it into leavin my pic-a-nic basket alone booboo
When i encounter wildlife in the Uk i'm usally mumbling for it to stay.
:-D
Rich

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Please dont think that I would shoot a bear with access to a suitable weapon :oops: I just thought that you must have some bottle to fire a catapult at one! I realise,that as a native American you obviously have a greater appreciation of the flora and fauna of your land than the image we in the U.K are given of the average North American.I thought that Mace,pepper spray or a 44 mag were the more 'american' way. I totally agree with Rich that observing wildlife is a priviledge.Bears have been extinct in the U.K for centuries but I have noted your very sound advice and will use it if I ever reach any'bear country' The largest predator left in this country is the fox and shooting one with a catapult would be far more acceptable than the methods used by some of our countrymen :-( I find your wisdom refreshing not boring

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Please don't get me wrong, as an aboriginal person I don't have any special gifts other than having a closer relationship with my world by the fact I am here. I just try to understand what it is I am seeing, and try not to judge good or bad in an animal, plant, person; eg. a bear stalks you is he bad? good? no he is doing what comes naturaly to him, no wrong, no right just what is. Don't think me so brave I didn't say I would push the marble in with my fingers :shock: that's why I use a catapult :lol: We have a lot of bears in our area and they are getting into trouble. One just broke into a house and started to look for food, tearing things up, out, he was found by a young lad who called the police. Bear left the premises only to come back hadn't finished yet :lol:
By the way just for clarity I am Canadian Aboriginal :cool:

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Not to blow my own trumpet but i was shite hot with a catapult as a kid,i never ever left the house without one round my neck and under my jacket.Ive had just about everything you can with a catapult bar rabbit.Its all down to practice really.A few months back i found my old catty in the shed put some new bands on it and away i went,30 mins later i was as good as ever.Like riding a bike i suppose.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I'm just about to make a catapult/slingshot and wanted to know how powerful such one are?? Once heard that an occupyer group in dk, made slingshots that could shoot through the polices shields?! (they occupyed a building and shot steelballs at the police) I would like some of that elastic........ :twisted:

I'll make mine of 6 mm. elastic-string. I have 2 m. of it.

How powerful are the ones from Barnett?? 100 m.?.... 200?..... :shock:

Cheers

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Having got used to the draw weight of (what are really fairly light) long bows, barrnett slingshots feel pretty whimpy! :lol: I wouldn't want to get shot by one you understand, just that they feel like they only pull 20lb or less.

The elastic is nothing more than surgical tubing. I have just learned that there are different sizes/wall thicknesses for this stuff. Apparently the really strong stuff is used by divers for lashing dive gear down. I have been told that most dive shops, in particular those that cater to technical divers, will have it in stock.

If you are building from scratch you can double up on the elastic.

http://www.primitivesupply.com/slingshots.cfm

The above is a fairly interesting site which I may have mentioned before :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE