Ever burned yourself Bushcrafting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just wondering how many people have burned themselves bushcrafting?

It seems to me the biggest risk to us is cuts, well, that's what I most worry about when bushcrafting, but i know there's other things to watch out for, hence my question.

I've had little burns from sparks, picking up the odd hot thing without thinking etc but nothing serious at all. has anyone got a proper burn, scald etc and if yes what first aid did you carry out?

Reactions: TeeDee

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Erm, yes. I got quite a bad burn when I was making small amounts of charcoal. I ended up getting some burning plastic on my hand. Unfortunately I didn't have any water with me to cool it and it was too dry to find any water either. It wasn't serious enough to require medical help but I now carry either a cooling burn dressing or ensure I have access to water if fire is involved.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Burned myself at the Winter Moot - grabbed hold of a metal handle on a frying pan I was seasoning and found the hole and thin place in the leather glove I was wearing as protection ... I just used copious cold water to take the heat out ... the "branding" has just finished it's peeling and there is still a noticeable groove in the pad of my thumb and in the fold of my index finger ...
It was quite painful at first but never needed a dressing as the blister never popped.
The glove went straight into the fire so as never to be worn again!

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
I don't recall ever burning myself seriously while bushcrafting or during several years as a boyscout. But we never casually put individual cooking items on and off the fire, besides bread on sticks or hot dogs on sticks. During hikes it was most often cold breakfast and dinner and when at camp there were big kettles that didn't have to be "handled" much at all.

These days if it happened I would probably apply either honey (it's amazing on wounds) or colloidal silver cream once I get around to making some. I think having honey in your first aid kit wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As it says in my intro - "first campfire, aged five; first burnt myself, aged five" :)

In defence, I was removing a toasting fork that some other kid had put across the fire!

As for treatment, I favour Aloe Vera - preferably fresh from the plant although the 99% tubes of gel are very effective. There are a number of native wild plants that are used for burns but, in my experience, nowhere near as efficacious.

Reactions: grainweevil

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Agree - freshly filleted Aloe Vera is absolutely brilliant for burns. I keep one growing on the kitchen window for exactly that purpose. I suppose slinging a pot plant into the FAK may not be convenient though.

Not done any bushcraft to burn myself whilst so doing, but can recommend that, should you accidentally knock a working steam iron off the ironing board, don't let your reflexes run away with you and attempt to catch it with your hand. :facepalm:

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just as a slight drift,what are the best gloves for around a campfire.
Google fire gloves, stove gloves, welders gloves. I’ve had the cheap red and now have the brown ones. The brown I have are better. Both types are pretty unwieldy, comes with the territory, but really handy for picking up burning logs or hot metal. Good for thorns too.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Can't remember anything. A rock exploded in a fire once in my teens, fortunately nothing hit anyone.
Softened the sole on a pair of boots enough to misshape the tread pattern, which didn't realize even though was wearing them the whole time.

Stay clear of plumbers whilst they work, got branded by one once as he was heating the end of copper pipe for soldering and turned toward me holding the pipe. Still make out the scar decades later.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Brewing up today by the river on my meths stove, left it a while while I drank my tea, then deciding to pack up grabbed the pan support and it was still hot. Ouch!
Forgot that it was still burning for a while as I drank my tea, and hadn't had enough time to cool down properly. Luckily, the river was freezing cold, so put my hand in the river for a few minutes, and all is fine.
I will say my attention had been taken by 3 rabbits playing tag in the field on the opposite bank, and I wasn't paying full attention to myself. Serve me right! :)

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Well, I didn't but this is what happened...
We were camping and had the kelly kettle going. I turned to Andrew and said "the fire is struggling can you blow into the kettle base, it needs some air"

Andrew knelt down, puckered up and blew. He removed himself rather quickly looking in a bit of pain holding his mouth.

This picture describes it best.
Crimpy burn.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: CrispyDuck

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
35 years ago we were sitting in the garden around a camp fire and burned also short pieces of construction wood. In the beginning I put a pot onto three concrete bricks, later pulled them out, but they still were close enough to stay hot.

Well, and after a few hours I grabbed in the dark such a concrete brick instead of a piece of construction wood.

It was the only serious accident I ever had around the fire.

That couldn't happen in a natural surrounding of course, but one should tell the children and teenagers about before they start such a backyard campfire.

Fortunately the tap wasn't far away and the water pretty cold.

Last edited:

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Might not be bushcraft exactly, but a good few years ago now I was cooking on a charcoal grill on Birkenhead beach. Knocked a couple of coals off the front and just automatically reached out and grabbed them both. Remember running to a pub and straight into the the gents to run water over it and the barman coming in to give me the "for customers only" lecture, only to then offer to call an ambulance. Fortunately, it wasn't quite that bad.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Nope, can't think of any times I've burned myself whilst camping.
Well, not any real burn, the odd singed fingers but realistically thats nowt.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Well this made me giggle and the wife slap me and say tell the nicve people how bad you are with fire , i have been known to heat something put it down and then pick it up without a glove yup oh so many times .
The best burn i had yes laugh if you like but how many have done what i did , picture the 1980's and man and bbq and the 8ugger would not lite i mean i put lighters in i put the fuel on it i blew until i was passing out and nothing and the wife/girlfriend as she was at the time said you best get that going people will be here soon , so me being the bright young stupid man i was said i know petrol , i got the can now this was a large kettle type BBQ i opened the lids i pour some petrol in replace the lid and say that will have ir roaring soon hon , hmmm so 5 minutes later i return hmmm no crackling sound nothing and as i open thel id i see no flame until you got it oxygen hit the fuel and the spark in the bowl whoosh hair gone at the front and no eyebrows for weeks , i got off lightly it could have been so much worse .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE